Drabblecast 371 - Old Dead Futures

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
SpareInch

Drabblecast 371 - Old Dead Futures

Postby SpareInch » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:02 pm

Feature:  Old Dead Futures  by  Tina Connolly

Drabble:  Autumn's Chill  by  Suzanne Kozlowski

Genre:  Drabblecast  Horror  Sci-Fi

Monday, November 16th, 2015

There are two things I love, and one is the tiny grey owl outside my window. He is not afraid of me. He hoots and hops to my windowsill so I can stroke his downy head and feed him worms I’ve saved in my pocket.
It is hard to get the worms from my pocket, the way my left arm jerks up behind me and my right hand shakes. Often fat mister owl gets a half a worm, but he doesn’t mind. Mother minds picking the half-worms from my pockets, but I see how she looks at me when I calm my tremoring hand long enough to pat mister owl; I see how she loves me then.

Episode Art:  Oskar Kunik
Read by:  Hugh O'Donnel

Twabble:  “"They live inside the walls!" my daughter whispers. I quiet her, avoiding the truth. I wish they only lived in the walls. ”  by  Kestaa
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

SpareInch

Re: Drabblecast 371 - Old Dead Futures

Postby SpareInch » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:49 pm

Right. Now that I have a thread to comment in...

I really enjoyed this story. I was never quite sure where it was going until it got there. I wonder what governments would really do if they found a way to change the future.

And I liked that the men from (presumably) the government didn't seem to realise that the protagonist was learning how to play the system for his own ends.

Also, what a tough choice, to have to spurn the affections of the only person in the world who loves you, so you can save them from suffering.

I do feel sorry for the owl though. I kept thinking of Pig from Harry Potter, and that made it really sad to see this owl get squished.
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

Chairman Goodchild

Postby Chairman Goodchild » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:03 am

Nice to hear another episode. I was really beginning to worry about the onset of Podcast rot, so it's encouraging to hear another episode.

Sorry about hearing about your girlfriend and job, Norm. I'm not which order to put those two in, but that's going to leave a mark. I've been there. It sucked. It takes time to get back on your feet.

Anyway, you have many fans out there. Thousands and thousands. You wouldn't know us if you saw us, but we know you. We're everywhere, and have been listening to you for years. And patiently, patiently waiting. So cheer up!

SeanT

Postby SeanT » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:09 am

Tina Connoly really is one of the best spec fic authors going. Love love triple loved this one. That imagine of the kid with the dead owl in his hand at the end... and then she knew not to love me. Epic. Heartbreaking. Awesome.

Drabblecast back in form. Five stars.
There's no money in poetry, but there's no poetry in money.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”