Drabblecast 376 – A Last Kiss for Lazarus Winters (A Saint Darwin’s Spiritual)

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
SpareInch

Drabblecast 376 – A Last Kiss for Lazarus Winters (A Saint Darwin’s Spiritual)

Postby SpareInch » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Feature:  A Last Kiss for Lazarus Winters (A Saint Darwin’s Spiritual)  by  D.K.Thompson

Drabble:  The Forecast Calls for Death  by  Monsieur Moustache

Genre:  Drabblecast  Fantasy  Horror

Monday, January 18th, 2016

I was born again on New Year’s Eve, full of broken promises, and slick and sticky with two kinds of blood. One of them was a ghost’s. That didn’t surprise me, though. I’ve seen my share of ghost blood.
I’d spent most of my life working with spirits and principalities — tracking ghosts, and making demands of them. That’s what people hired me for. But I wasn’t one of Darwin’s spiritualists, though I’d read his Origin of the Spirits and wore the goggles he’d fashioned. No, the spiritualists aided the spirits, providing a bridge between the living and the dead to help care for them. Me? I took all of Charlie Darwin’s studies and tools, and crossed those bridges to make certain demands of ghosts. I was a spiritual extortionist.

The Dribblecast
Episode Art:  Bo Kaier
Read by:  MarBelle

Twabble:  “The wizard looked up from his Grimoire, hope in his eyes. I closed the spell book. I wasn’t going to set him loose just yet. ”  by  Spare Inch
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

SpareInch

Re: Drabblecast 376 – A Last Kiss for Lazarus Winters (A Saint Darwin’s Spiritual)

Postby SpareInch » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:05 pm

I love St Darwin's. It's an amazing world where pretty much anything can, and does happen. I for one am waiting for the big eBook compendium of St D stories... No Pressure, Mr T. ;)

I loved the build up of this piece, and the fight between ghosts, humans who can vanish at will and humans who can't was beautifully done.

Where can I get one of those blindfolds, BTW? :D
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

MatWeller

Re: Drabblecast 376 – A Last Kiss for Lazarus Winters (A Saint Darwin’s Spiritual)

Postby MatWeller » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Fantastic story, well read!

Not that it matters terribly, but I've always heard the biblical names attempted in the middle as Shadrach (SHAD-rack), Meshach (MEE-shack), and Abednego (uh-bed-NEE-go).

Chairman Goodchild

Postby Chairman Goodchild » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:33 am

I loved this story, and the narration was excellent. It really added to the piece.

Something about this story bugged me. I couldn't figure out what. Then it hit me: this is a sequel to St. Darwin's Spirituals, which ran as a special Halloween episode of Escape Pod (episode 264, Oct 2010). So, if anyone wants to hear another story in this setting, here it is. I really enjoyed this one as well.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”