Drabblecast 126 - Dagon

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 126 - Dagon

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:42 pm

Drabblecast 126

Poetry- The Fungi from Yuggoth
by H.P. Lovecraft

Dagon
by H.P.Lovecraft

As I crawled into the stranded boat I realized that only one theory could explain my position. Through some unprecedented volcanic upheaval, a portion of the ocean floor must have been thrown to the surface, exposing regions which for innumerable millions of years had lain hidden under unfathomable watery depths...

Artist: Adam S. Doyle
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:29 am

Classic. The poems were favorite. And the song...THE SONG! Must send to horror-writing friend at once.

Those Lovecraftian sentences are some convoluted mouthfuls. Kudos to Norm for making them sound all easy and natural. Mad enunciation skillz.

You did break character about two and a half minutes in when you were being glib, "Matt." *snerk*
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:09 pm

I hate to sound like a Drabblecast lap dog every week but geez........this episode was fantastic! The poem, main story, and musical number were all great. Production was right on also. Perfect!
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:05 pm

A great episode. If you don't love Lovecraft, you have no soul. Wait no, if you didn't have a soul, you'd probably love him even more. There is no excuse!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Goldenrat wrote:I hate to sound like a Drabblecast lap dog every week but geez........this episode was fantastic! The poem, main story, and musical number were all great. Production was right on also. Perfect!
Don't feel bad, most everyone around here is a Drabblecast Pound Puppy.

(hmm immediately after posting this reply I got one of those "You computer is vulnerable to infections, Here Let me just 'check' it for you /diabolical robotic laughter." )

anyone know the best defense against those attacks?
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:22 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
Demon to be mated with.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:15 pm

strawman wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:
Demon to be mated with.
Been there, done that, bastard didn't even give me a t-shirt.

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:53 am

strawman wrote:Demon to be mated with.
It occurs to me that this _really_ should be a forum rank! :D
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:43 am

Norm, I think you may have done for Lovecraft what you did for Jelly Park. In putting it to video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZEbuonn6oI) I was pretty hampered by copyright questions on the art. It would have been great to illustrate the song with some of the wonderful work on Google images inspired by Lovecraft. The episode in all respects was worthy of Lovecraft. Worth waiting for. Well done.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:28 am

haha, thanks Strawman, that's pretty cool!
Yah, in today's copyright scene it's all about trying to find an email address and asking can we use this?.... ehm...for free?...
it's about 80% a "sure, whatever" situation.
The other 17% are just arrogant douchebags, and it's not usually worth paying anything for.
The remaining 13% was made by Big Media and yah, it's awesome, but you can't afford it. Keep hunting around long enough you'll find something better made by Mr Tweedy anyways.
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:24 am

Nice episode, if I do say so myself!
I've never read Lovecraft, but I can see why Norm likes him.
I listened to both this episode and the B-sides tale at 11pm staying at a relative's lakeside cottage. Didn't frighten me despite my surroundings, but I was impressed by the nature of the horror. It made me smile.

The Bbardle had my sister humming the tune, without really listening to the words. :-) Another top-notch job.
But it had me wondering: How long did you try to write a pun like "If it's Dagon, then I'm gone" before giving up?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

MacBean

Post by MacBean » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:04 am

Lovecraft makes me happy. Lovecraft read by Norm makes me happy in my pants. This episode was a definite win. I listened to it twice in a row and I'm keeping it on my harddrive, which I very rarely do. Awesome. :D
~Bean

Wonko

Post by Wonko » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:45 am

normsherman wrote:it's about 80% a "sure, whatever" situation.
The other 17% are just arrogant douchebags, and it's not usually worth paying anything for.
The remaining 13% was made by Big Media and yah, it's awesome, but you can't afford it. Keep hunting around long enough you'll find something better made by Mr Tweedy anyways.
80%+17%+13%=110%

Mr Tweedy's stuff is just that good.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Twitter::Facebook

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:49 am

Yah, I've never been a huge Lovecraft fan. It's irritating how people let him get away with being a great horror writer just by describing something as "horrible"...but he does have his moments (Color out of time) where his writing is so amazingly descriptive and completely pulls you in without making you roll your eyes once.
But it doesn't matter when Norm reads and produces it. Even Dagon, which I've never thought anything special, was creepy and awesome. Great crescendo here, relatively flat reading throughout to match the tone, then when Lovecraft kicks it into overdrive with the powerhouse sentances about things from the deep dragging down war-torn humanity into the seas with it's talons, Norm matches it and makes those lines powerful rather than totally cheesy.
Also, I think Fungi of Yuggoth rocks. Never read them before, thanks Drabblecast!

And of course, the Bbardle was nothing short of hilarious and awesome. A keeper, the whole show.

Praxis

Post by Praxis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:33 pm

That song, Norm! That SONG!
Incredible :)

(Hactuelly, I thought it was more awesome than the Lovecraftian goings on, but there you go.)

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:01 pm

Not a big Lovecraft fan here either (sometimes boring?), but I liked the story... "ere the waning and fantastically gibbous moon", and the reading.

That is neither here nor there, the bbardle was superb and blew old HP out of the putrid and sinister water. Norm, if you want listeners to stop kissing your ass then stop showing off.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Phenopath wrote: Norm, if you want listeners to stop kissing your ass then stop showing off.
I think the best we can hope for is that he at least showers daily.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 pm

I was surprised to find myself quite drawn in by this story. I've read it before and was unimpressed, but the audio production seemed to make it much more intense. The music especially emphasized the slow change of mood from adventure to horror. Stories told in the first-person (especially those with no dialog) are, of course, especially well-suited to audio.

I never did like the end, and I still think it's cheesy. We've established that these creatures 1.) live on the bottom of the ocean and 2.) are colossally huge. Therefore the idea of the narrator's being followed around by them or their emissaries seems illogical. How could they follow him and, if they could, why? This lapse of logic is underscored by the last line, in which the narrator sits at his typewriter and writes out that he is going to jump out the window because something nasty is breaking into his room. I don't think anybody would sit at a typewriter writing about their intention of jumping out a window to escape from a monster. I think they'd just jump.

I think the greatest strength of this story is the way it moves logically from the ordinary to the horrible. The narrator starts out as just a merchant, then he's captured, he escapes. We go from ordinary to unusual before transition into bizarre when the narrator wakes up on the uncanny island, and the horror slowly ramps up until we meet the monster. The great pacing makes a story where, really, not much happens pretty effective. But that's the genius of Lovecraft: Pacing. Not much happens in any of his stories, but he reveals things in such a measured and deliberate way that you're kept in constant suspense.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:39 pm

Tweedy! What the heck happened to you?? You look so... different.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:33 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Tweedy! What the heck happened to you?? You look so... different.
Cyber-gnomes from the info-sphere seem to have taken advantage of last nights FreeForums maintenance to break in and possess Mr.Tweedy's avatar.