Drabblecast Director’s cut

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Mr.Shadowbxre

Drabblecast Director’s cut

Post by Mr.Shadowbxre » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:54 am

Thank you the triumphant return of the Drabblecast Norm! We are eager to feast upon your offerings to the devoted fans. It was fun and interesting to hear the commentary in these director episodes. I’ve always enjoyed some good banter and insight on how something comes to be. Bravo sir.
The alien horde had finally halted. Our sonic weapons had worked. Their battle cry was no more. "Yep yep yep yep, uh huh!"
---------------------------

Benbi

Re: Drabblecast Director’s cut

Post by Benbi » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Oh, hey there. I've been wondering when someone else would come back to the forum! I was also really delighted to hear the 'making of' (finally).

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 am

Infinite Improbability Drive Engaged.
Dropping out of Hyperspace and disengaging from the Grid...
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:53 am

Oh, and Morris and Penny are codependent.
He escapes to the past in his literal time machine.
She with her metaphorical time machine of gin and dreams of youth.

They both need marriage counseling or a divorce and counseling for their separate issues that prevent both from moving forward with their lives, together or separately.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:54 am

And tell Charlie he’s not the only purple giraffe having an existential crisis...

Spindaddy

Post by Spindaddy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm

The directors cut was good. Good to know maxi pads can cushion the old sack from a 300 pound man jumping off a ladder.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.
Zombie Catfish.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:16 pm

In the discussion about Charlie the Purple Giraffe, the composer Carl Stalling is mentioned. I suspect that many people have never heard of him. To most people his name is obscure but his work is anything but.

As it turns out I recently watched a YouTube video that discusses Stalling.

Here's a link to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1iRsCoP4Nw
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

Kbilly

Post by Kbilly » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:36 pm

eric_marsh wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:16 pm
In the discussion about Charlie the Purple Giraffe, the composer Carl Stalling is mentioned. I suspect that many people have never heard of him. To most people his name is obscure but his work is anything but.
That is the soundtrack of my youth (and my own internal soundtrack for life)!!! I'm considering creating a Pandora Station for Carl Stalling, just for those days in heavy traffic! It may make the drive into work more amusing!
Arkham Vocational College,
Class of 2016
(Certificate of Plumbing/Waste Water Control Technology)
GO Amphibs!

mavjop

Post by mavjop » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:36 pm

On Jelly Park:

Listening to the director's cut episode of Jelly Park and Norm's and Aliyah's conversation about it, I think neither one realized they not only had different life experiences but were also speaking a different language. :-)

Jelly (US): Jam, probably without seeds/rind/bits.

Jelly (UK): Either of (1) same as US, but definitely without seeds/rind/bits or (2) flavoured gelatin dessert. #2 is called Gell-O in the US. #2 is what the story was referring to.

Furthering the confusion, in the US Gell-O is bought in packets of powder which you mix with hot water, where's jelly in Ireland and the UK on in hyper concentrated gelatinous form. You get it in a thin cardboard package, possibly with a cellophane wrapper inside, that is a bit like a waffle of hyper-jelly. You cut/tear it into cubes and melt it down to make the jelly you are meant to way, but you can (and everyone who grew up in Ireland (like me) or the UK has) eat it as is. It's really chewy, because it's much more concentrated gelatin, and the flavour and sweetness are accordingly dialed up to 11.

I don't think Norm realized Aliyah *wasn't* talking about something jam-like, and I don't think Aliyah realized that Norm didn't realize. :-)

P.S. Unless I'm mistaken and Aliyah intended a double entendre, the neighbour's "pot plant" is not actually a reference to growing marijuana. In IE/UK, "pot plant" means genetically "potted plant" in US English. I think Norm may have thought there was a drug angle that wasn't there. :)

"Two countries separated by a common language." - Churchill (maybe)

12+ year listener, maybe first time poster? Keep up the great work, Norm!

- Stephen

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:28 am

mavjop wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:36 pm
On Jelly Park:

Listening to the director's cut episode of Jelly Park and Norm's and Aliyah's conversation about it, I think neither one realized they not only had different life experiences but were also speaking a different language. :-)
Haha, ya, both Aliya and I got a lot of different messages about the difference between jelly's between GB and USA, kind of a shocking amount actually. I don't think either of us paid that particular point too much overthinking in the convo, but i'd say we were both pretty aware of the differences between our own personal experiences, speaking the same language but coming from different cultures. For me it was kind of a driving point of some of the conversation actually, how there are double decker busses vs. single busses, Slough vs. Jersey as cities, the accents including a go at Welsh. Also the common ground, but for me it was how in a sense, the strange differences (for whatever they were or were not) don't wind up really mattering to the experience. Everything is accepted, regardless of if it's cubed or rabbit shaped or ice cream cold. Was kind of the point in my head.) :)

For the record, I was definitely thinking #2 when I read the story, not like, typical "jelly" in the states, more the Bill Cosby kind. But in the story and conversation we're talking about being in custards or trifles and adding water and also popping cubes in mouths etc. As jelly goes, it was beginning to take on an amorphous notion in my head.

To your last point, I wasn't thinking marijuana (although who knows with this protag), more the fact that she "doesn't remember going to bed," and is pulling an all nighter with a bottle of jack daniels. A blackout experience seemed like an interesting side angle to me (that I honestly just came up with on the cuff during the interview) ...although as Aliya points out, our character arrives at the same place of enlightenment either way. My blackout subnarrative doesn't hold much water because she does wind up becoming a jolly bus driver in the end and taking people to Jelly Park, so it is likely a real place and thing that she experienced.
I do like the idea that it doesn't really matter though. :)
"Give us all some Jelly"

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:45 am

eric_marsh wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:16 pm

As it turns out I recently watched a YouTube video that discusses Stalling.

Here's a link to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1iRsCoP4Nw
Thanks for pointing that out Eric. I love Carl Stalling and was blown away when talking to the rapid-pace minded David Levine that he knows a lot about pretty much everything. People like that can sometimes be frustrating to have conversations with, but not David. He's always adapting and responding to different stuff your throw at him too; willing to play with you in any sandbox of ideas you wanna get dirty with. Lotta plasticity up in that noggin' of his, and I appreciated how articulate he was despite clearly running a very fast harddrive speed up there.
I also appreciated his self awareness and analytical takes on humor. He's a really cool, nerdy and approachable guy, if you're ever at a con and see him speaking on a panel don't be afraid to go say hi and "HOW IS IT YOU CANNOT BE SEEN? ARE YOU GOD TO BE SLAIN OR DEMON TO BE MATED WITH?"
He'll get the joke.
"Give us all some Jelly"

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:45 am

Spindaddy wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm
The directors cut was good. Good to know maxi pads can cushion the old sack from a 300 pound man jumping off a ladder.
Don't try this at home.
"Give us all some Jelly"

mavjop

Post by mavjop » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:06 pm

normsherman wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:28 am
Haha, ya, both Aliya and I got a lot of different messages about the difference between jelly's between GB and USA, kind of a shocking amount actually. I don't think either of us paid that particular point too much overthinking in the convo, but i'd say we were both pretty aware of the differences between our own personal experiences, speaking the same language but coming from different cultures. For me it was kind of a driving point of some of the conversation actually, how there are double decker busses vs. single busses, Slough vs. Jersey as cities, the accents including a go at Welsh. Also the common ground, but for me it was how in a sense, the strange differences (for whatever they were or were not) don't wind up really mattering to the experience. Everything is accepted, regardless of if it's cubed or rabbit shaped or ice cream cold. Was kind of the point in my head.) :)

For the record, I was definitely thinking #2 when I read the story, not like, typical "jelly" in the states, more the Bill Cosby kind. But in the story and conversation we're talking about being in custards or trifles and adding water and also popping cubes in mouths etc. As jelly goes, it was beginning to take on an amorphous notion in my head.
Amorphous. Jelly. Heh. :)

It felt like there was a strong possibility that you each didn't realize that you were talking about different things. Good to know that you were more aware than I realized.
normsherman wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:28 am
To your last point, I wasn't thinking marijuana (although who knows with this protag), more the fact that she "doesn't remember going to bed," and is pulling an all nighter with a bottle of jack daniels. A blackout experience seemed like an interesting side angle to me (that I honestly just came up with on the cuff during the interview) ...although as Aliya points out, our character arrives at the same place of enlightenment either way. My blackout subnarrative doesn't hold much water because she does wind up becoming a jolly bus driver in the end and taking people to Jelly Park, so it is likely a real place and thing that she experienced.
I do like the idea that it doesn't really matter though. :)
I think that's a very reasonable way of looking at it. :)

- Stephen