Drabblecast 390 - I Will Remain

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
ZimmermansWay

Drabblecast 390 - I Will Remain

Post by ZimmermansWay » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Feature: I Will Remain by David Steffen.

• Genre: Horror

Monday, November 26th, 2018

Yes, it’s a ruff day in paradise. (Oh yeah, we’re barking up the dog pun tree.) We think you’ll thank us when you hear what we’ve unleashed.
This is the story of one President who learns the horrifying truth and must fight to save humanity. And Democracy itself.

Story Excerpt:
I am not insane. I wondered, at first, whether I was simply a dog dreaming he was a man, but if that were true I wouldn’t understand English or recall the sights of London. These things are too real to be mere fancies. I know many things a dog shouldn’t. Fragmented memories of life as a man mingle with recollections of my canine existence.
Drabble: Good Dog

Twabble by UnseenTangerine:
Mr. Milan, you’re out of the dog show,” said the official.
“Why?” he objected.
“You used performance enhancing pugs.”
Produced: Adam Pracht
Episode Art: Aaron Siddall
Read by: Nick Camm
Music: Kevin MacLeod

...Zimmerman...

"We're all lying in the gutter. Some of us are just looking up at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Sphinx

Re: Drabblecast 390 - I Will Remain

Post by Sphinx » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:24 pm

This is probably my fave episode since the relaunch! The story and narrating was sooo good. And the sound effects -- GROSS! But in the best way imaginable.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:50 am

Sphinx wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:24 pm
This is probably my fave episode since the relaunch! The story and narrating was sooo good. And the sound effects -- GROSS! But in the best way imaginable.
YESS! I agree, those sound effects man. Dogs already make enough gross sounds don't they?? Have you ever heard a dog just sit in the corner and lick the same spot on itself sloppily for an eternity until you can't take it any more and have a total meltdown and wind up in prison for something you deeply regret? but it wouldn't stop...licking...

Adam nailed it in this one I think, and a lot of those SFX were homegrown. I know because he was testing out a new mic and was sending me samples asking my opinion while producing it.

The story was great too though ( i love all our stories!) but this one really got you in the head of that loyal ol' mutt (not-mutt) I thought.
"Give us all some Jelly"

ZimmermansWay

Post by ZimmermansWay » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:46 am

I likewise really enjoyed this one a lot. It took a little bit to win me over, but Nick's Alan Rickman-like narration was so nice to listen to before I knew it I was being eased into cannibalism (sort of?) and love triangles.

And yes... my dog is obsessed with the ouroboros pose...
...Zimmerman...

-Oscar Wilde

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:04 am

haha ouroboros pose.

I belive Nick Kerr narrated this one, but Adam really knows how to find the right readers. Def see the Alan Rickman thing.
"Give us all some Jelly"

ZimmermansWay

Post by ZimmermansWay » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:00 pm

Nick? Adam? You? Me?

We're all a part of the same cosmic reincarnation dust, aren't we?
...Zimmerman...

-Oscar Wilde

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:59 pm

Indeed! A lobster read it. :)
"Give us all some Jelly"

lady lemonbalm

Post by lady lemonbalm » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Clawless!

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:51 pm

I'm not an animal person, don't care much for dog stories, but this one spoke to me. I don't know if it was the Neil Gaiman-like reading or the very pleasing amount of human flesh eating that brought me joy, but I really dug this one. And yes, I thought Nick Camm sounded much more like Gaiman than Rickman. Maybe if I could hear Nick say, “What was it you said to me earlier? Yippie-ki-yay, mother%$@?#%r,” I might change my mind.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Quiet Spruce

Post by Quiet Spruce » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:27 pm

The narration was spot-on. The sound effects work though, my god did that add a lot. The text alone didn't really evoke much, but that chomping turned my stomach. A very interesting premise, and I liked the conclusion and reveal.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:15 am

Sometimes sound effects work really well in a story. If you've ever heard the general sounds a dog or cat makes when they're cleaning themselves or eating... eeasssh... well... you know what i'm talking about.
"Give us all some Jelly"

acpracht

Post by acpracht » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:29 pm

Peek behind the curtain: This is actually one I completed for Norm before the unplanned hiatus and ended up in limbo, so I was so pleased to have this one return with the relaunch.
Given this, I didn't actually have the mic I purchased more recently for homegrown sfx. (For that, check out One in Four Adults in the recent trifecta. Pretty much everything but the gas oven sounds were homegrown. I don't own one.)
Wish I could take credit for those great effects, but I can't. Gotta give props to the hivemind at freesound.org for most of these. Turns out lots of people love to share sound of chewing and ripping flesh on there. :)
Nick is absolutely one of my favorite narrators to use (for all the reasons mentioned above and more). I even eat PayPal's international fee to pay him. :)
I swear, if I could do this full time and Norm could offer health insurance, this would be all I do.
Adam

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:47 am

haha one day Adam. :)

Just watched the Wes Anderson movie Isle of Dogs and it made me think of this story again. Steffen plays with the loyalty aspect of dogs in a cool and creepy (and romantic?) way here.
"Give us all some Jelly"