Drabblecast 394 - Christmas Special "Dirty Santa"

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
ZimmermansWay

Drabblecast 394 - Christmas Special "Dirty Santa"

Post by ZimmermansWay » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Feature: Dirty Santa by Tim Pratt.

• Genre: Horror, Holiday

Tuesday, December 25th, 2018

Merry Christmas strangers! The Drabblecast has something rather wicked fixed up for you this holiday season! We present to you a festive tale from fan-favorite Tim Pratt! It’s called “Dirty Santa.”

It’s a story that takes us on a journey with one awkward, balding, twenty-something to a Christmas party where he meets a mysterious stranger carrying a mystical and dangerous gift. This is a white elephant he’ll probably never forget.
Story Excerpt:
Kieran wallflowered. The apartment was a bustle of twenty other people more extroverted and festive than himself, all dressed in the requisite hideous holiday sweaters, drinking bourbon punch and rum punch and some sort of strange vegan eggnog, flirting and joking and ranting and, in one case, openly making out against a wall underneath a dangling branch of mistletoe.
Drabble: A Frosty Demise by Zimmerman
As death appeared over the hills of snow
The old man’s smile fell away
The end was near
His posture cantered to one side
Weighed down by a scarf that had now frozen solid around his neck
“What senseless meaning lay behind this existence?” he pondered. “What maker gave life, only to have me watch it melt away, all alone?”
His face began to glisten and droop in the noon day sun.
“If winter is the end, then what is the beginning?”
As his silk hat fell away
He hoped and he prayed that he’d be back again
Some day

Twabble by Suomy Nona:
Realizing “being good” would not end the neglect, Mike crossed into Maryland and aimed. Yes Santa, there IS a Virginia.

Produced and Read by: Norm Sherman
Episode Art: Emily Cannon

...Zimmerman...

"We're all lying in the gutter. Some of us are just looking up at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

ScubaMan

Re: Drabblecast 394 - Christmas Special "Dirty Santa"

Post by ScubaMan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:59 pm

That was a fantastic story. The last line... "it was the thought that counts"... was a brutal kick in the head. The protagonist sure as hell deserved the gift... and to have it stolen. What... The... F##k.

It was pure Drabblecast. Me gusta. :-)

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:14 pm

I don't think Norm gets enough credit for his episode intros. This one was fantastic. Truly inspired. Even though I listened to the episode in February it made me feel all Christmassy inside. And the story was a nice blast from Drabblecast past. Loved the skull Xmas sweater.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

ScubaMan

Post by ScubaMan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:35 am

Kevin Anderson wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:14 pm
I don't think Norm gets enough credit for his episode intros. This one was fantastic. Truly inspired. Even though I listened to the episode in February it made me feel all Christmassy inside. And the story was a nice blast from Drabblecast past. Loved the skull Xmas sweater.
They're one of the reasons I reactivated my monthly donation. Uncle Norm's an odd duck. A smart duck. A tentacled duck. :mrgreen: