Drabblecast 127 - Nanuq

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
zZzacha

Re: Drabblecast 127- Nanuq by John Kratman

Postby zZzacha » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:21 pm

Crikey! I totally missed the story in this episode. I did enjoy Norm's voice, but I wasn't listening to the words. I was distracted by reading all the comments to this story, editing my signature, reading other posts on the forums, re-editing my signature, thinking what it would be like to live in the US and understand the grass carp/pike fisherman dichotomy everybody was talking about, re-editing my signature.

Now the story is over and I'm left all alone with an empty coffee cup, a cold bath and a signature I'm still not done with. The devil is in the details, you know
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

Nervous Tick

Postby Nervous Tick » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:41 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Welcome to the forums, badass fish catcher!
You are officially member 299!

The signs are true, I have come...

aaand am glad to be here. I've loved this podcast for a long time, I just keep putting off checkin the forums out.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:27 pm

Nervous Tick wrote:As a catcher of Jack fish (pike) I am pleased to see them getting them getting the respect they need and deserve. Although I feel Norm missed one major food group that ups their badassedness to a whole new level; human hands. I've seen it, heard it, and felt it. When those suckers are hungry, you become the fishing hook line and sinker (har har).
Slough Sharks are the reason I don't swim at dawn.

If there were an award for most topically relevant avatar in the drabblecast pop-cultural idiom, you'd win it hands down.

Welcome to the forum, hunter of Pike.

Leave the grass carp to the Prairie Home Companion pod-scribers.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Big Anklevich

Postby Big Anklevich » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:28 am

Norm, your cleverness continues to make me so jealous.

Richmazzer

Postby Richmazzer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:18 pm

That was cool. I liked it better than Harry the Crow. I can see the editors reading this story up to the polar bear fight scene and then just tossing it in the yes pile without even finishing it. :-)
Lucky for them the ending was the best part.

swamp

Postby swamp » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Hey there.

I thought the story was just okay. Kind of cool, but it didn't really hook me either.

Norm's humor cracks me up. The "Norman, the Mormon" line made me laugh. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, often referred to as Mormons, I did want to clear up a couple things. The practice of polygamy was practiced for about 60 years in the 1800's. Not every family practiced it, and it was a burden for most. The practice was officially stopped in 1890. Many splinter groups from the main church have evolved and still practice polygamy to this day. They are also referred to as Mormons, so it gets confusing. Anybody who practices polygamy now in the original church would be excommunicated.

Sorry for being boring. Norm's line was very funny; I love to listen to DC for his quick wit as much as I do the stories. Keep it up. :)

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:29 pm

swamp wrote:Hey there.

I thought the story was just okay. Kind of cool, but it didn't really hook me either.

Norm's humor cracks me up. The "Norman, the Mormon" line made me laugh. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, often referred to as Mormons, I did want to clear up a couple things. The practice of polygamy was practiced for about 60 years in the 1800's. Not every family practiced it, and it was a burden for most. The practice was officially stopped in 1890. Many splinter groups from the main church have evolved and still practice polygamy to this day. They are also referred to as Mormons, so it gets confusing. Anybody who practices polygamy now in the original church would be excommunicated.

Sorry for being boring. Norm's line was very funny; I love to listen to DC for his quick wit as much as I do the stories. Keep it up. :)

I'm not a Mormon, but I do think it was kind of sad that they buckled under to the federal government as the trampled on their rights to practice their religion as they wanted to. Thought there was an amendment in the bill of rights concerning that, but oh well.

I mean, if someone wants to be a masochist and have not one, but multiple wives, what right does the government have to interfere. Mirrors my feelings on gay marriage. Why should same-sex couples get off so easily?

Good to see someone that has a sense of humor about their religion, though, when it's said in good humor with a smile on one's face. Feel free to fire off Catholic jokes at me.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Unblinking

Re:

Postby Unblinking » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:I LOLed at the intro, where Norm discusses which people, organizations and/or inanimate objects enjoy catching either grass carp or pike. That's classic Norm: Take some simple bit of trivia or common phrase and expand on it to the point where you've built this absurd mythology around it, like a rhetorical Rube-Goldberg machine. The best example of this was his expansion of the Creative Commons License blurb into a future history of the world, but being told that the flu catches grass carp was pretty funny too.

The story was interesting, but I can't say I really understand it. If the shamans are using future technology, then surely the son, being very much a child of his time, would already know about it and understand that, yes, the bear is his mother. Rather than be skeptical of his father's ideas, he would simply think it odd that his father would refer to modern cybernetics using religious language. He would also probably find it offensive that his father would be going out to ritually hunt his mother rather than dispatching the Coast Guard to rescue her. Or is it the case that Native American shamans have always used advanced cybernetics? That interpretation raises way too many questions.

I guess I feel like the story mixed up ancient and futuristic more or less at random, without much evident logic as so which parts went where. That made for an interesting ride, but I don't feel like it took me anywhere.

Mr. Tweedy said it well. I liked the story, thought the polar bear transmogrification was really cool, but it seemed a little muddled whether it was magical or tech, and seemed like the author couldn't decide and therefore didn't.

hellena.xantia

Re: Drabblecast 127 - Nanuq

Postby hellena.xantia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:04 pm

oh, this one is very unusual, combining legends and hi-tech. I love legends and sci-fi)

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”