Drabblecast 395 - The Slaying of the Dragon

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
ZimmermansWay

Drabblecast 395 - The Slaying of the Dragon

Post by ZimmermansWay » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:21 pm

Feature: The Slaying of the Dragon by Dino Buzzati.

• Genre: Fantasy

Saturday, January 12th, 2019

Enjoy this rare piece of translated fiction by Italian novelist and short story writer Dino Buzzati, about what might happen today if we discovered a dragon.

Story Excerpt:
"I think it's all over," said Andronico.
It did indeed seem so. The last breath of obstinate life was coming out of the dragon' mouth.
No one had answered his call, no one in the whole world had responded. The mountains were quiet still, even the diminutive landslides seems to have been reabsorbed, the sky was clear without the slightest cloud and the sun was setting. No one, either from this world or the next, had come to avenge the massacre...
Drabble: Dream of the Dragon by mkapache
I dream of the dragon. It rises when I sleep, trumpeting the beginning of the end.

Work seems pointless when the future is so dark but what else can I do. Ella, my wife, has started to see the cracks. I'm showing the strain. I see her worried eyes when I pour just one more drink, trying to dull the vivid memories of my visions.

I see the bleak future, what will become of the human race. I see what rises from the depths.

I dream of the dragon and the dragon knows. The dragon waits and dreams of me.

Twabble by A Tiny Sloth:
Realizing “being good” would not end the neglect, Mike crossed into Maryland and aimed. Yes Santa, there IS a Virginia.

Produced and Read by: Norm Sherman
Episode Art: Bo Kaier

...Zimmerman...

"We're all lying in the gutter. Some of us are just looking up at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Re: Drabblecast 395 - The Slaying of the Dragon

Post by Kevin Anderson » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:55 pm

I honestly didn't think I liked this episode when I was listening to it. Not really my kind of story. But days later I find myself still thinking about it. I think Norm in the intro said it was about doom or the growing feeling of doom. For me, it was more about dread. Not much of a distinction between dread and doom I know, but that slow uncoiling sense of impending awfulness, not the doomsday end of the world or life as you know it awfulness, but the kind that scar you just a little, in a place you can't help but notice or forget.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

eric_marsh

Re: Drabblecast 395 - The Slaying of the Dragon

Post by eric_marsh » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:03 pm

A very sad story. My heart goes out for the dinosaur. But then I realized that this sort of cruelty is common in blood sports such as fox hunting as well as in industrialized animal farming. Then there are the things that we do to our fellow human beings....
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"