Drabblecast 396 - Trifecta: Losses & Sacrifices

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
ZimmermansWay

Drabblecast 396 - Trifecta: Losses & Sacrifices

Post by ZimmermansWay » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Feature: Trifecta: Losses & Sacrifices

Wednesday, January 23rd, 2019

Genre: Horror, Trifecta

This week the Drabblecast brings you three stories about shipwrecks, murder, and Nazis. It’s a Losses and Sacrifices Trifecta!

Seven Losses of Na Re

This is a brooding look back on things taken, things lost, and things always remembered.

Story Excerpt:

My life is described by the music of mute violins. When my parents married, my great-grandfather, may the earth be as a feather, ascended the special-guests podium, cradling the old fiddle to his chest. “And now the zeide will play the wedding melody,” they said. “A special blessing,” they said, a sgule, a royal blessing. But the bow fell from his fingers.
When I Had Eyes, I Didn't See

This story is chilling tale about perception, murder, and an old, creaky elevator.

Story Excerpt:
I had eyes once.
Before the Lift-man came.
Now I have knobs, smooth and black and round as pegs. I touch them with my fingertips and try to remember what it felt like, having eyes. If I push one knob in, the other one pops out like the elevator buttons used to do.
The Sepulcher Out of Sea

A seaman marooned in a haunted land, struggling to maintain control of his crazed crewmen and their new, dead captain.

Story Excerpt:
When the gale has finished tearing at us, and the hull has ceased its moaning, we head abovedeck to find our warship cradled in the boughs of an enormous tree. There is no sign of the fleet, no hint of sea. There is scarcely anything to be seen through the steaming fog which surrounds us.

The captain is lost—swept overboard without a sound, and with him the boatswain and two of the gunnery crew. As quartermaster, command of the Lanfranco falls to me. The next morning, I resolve to throw down the rope ladders and scout our surroundings in pairs. Yet no sooner do we set out than the cry goes up; the boatswain’s body is found.

Produced: Norm Sherman
Episode Art: Cesar Valtierra
Read by: Stephanie Malia Morris on "When I had eyes", Nick Camm on "Sepulcher," Nicola Seaton-Clark on "Seven Losses."
Music by: Kevin MacLeod

...Zimmerman...

"We're all lying in the gutter. Some of us are just looking up at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

ScubaMan

Re: Drabblecast 396 - Trifecta: Losses & Sacrifices

Post by ScubaMan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:30 am

Holy carp! These were 3 sharp tales. The body horror in...
Spoiler:
the tale of the phantom elevator victim was gloriously cringe-worthy... and in a GOOD way.
:shock: :shock: +1 for my Drabblecast, eh.

Edit... Um, I just scrolled up to see the art for this episode. Holy s##t! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: +1.9 for my Drabblecast-illustrators.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:08 am

Illustration was Spot on awesome, I agree!
"Give us all some Jelly"

acpracht

Post by acpracht » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:41 pm

+1 on the art. Didn't register the first time the button eyes have up and down arrows.
Adam

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:40 pm

Was really left solemn and melancholy after listening to this episode. Not saying it was depressing but I'm not going to listen to any of my Smith albums any time real soon. Loved all three stories, and really enjoyed the production, from the voice talent to the background music.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer