Drabblecast 400 & 401- We Who Stole the Dream

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
normsherman
Site Admin

Drabblecast 400 & 401- We Who Stole the Dream

Post by normsherman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:34 am

The Drabblecast launches its 8th Annual Women and Aliens Month with Part 1 of “We Who Stole the Dream” by James Tiptree Jr.

This is a dark, dystopian tale about sadism and slavery, and the potential for cruelty in all of us. Published postmortem in the 1990 compilation “Her Smoke Rose Up Forever,” this story was originally written in 1978. True to the times, Tiptree was wrestling with sexism and feminism in much the same vein as Ursula Le Guin and Margaret Atwood. These issues are all still relevant, and still topical forty years later.
"Give us all some Jelly"

mightytwix
Forums Czar

Re: Drabblecast 400 & 401- We Who Stole the Dream

Post by mightytwix » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 pm

This is one of the reasons that made me such a fan of the Drabblecast. Great story, amazing production, and I get exposure to an author I (ashamedly) did not know. I am always amazed when an author can pull you into a story by leveraging something from actual history, by re framing the context.

The end of this story reminds us of the realities of deliverance from prosecution, that we must hold on to the values that we learned and not get led into becoming the things we fled. Great choice of story, and I feel very relevant today!!!

And big salute to women and aliens month!!!
I keep telling you I grow sorghum...

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:33 pm

So much to love about this one. I’d never heard any Tiptree stories either and am now researching which of hers to start with. If anyone has recommendations I’m all ears.

One theme I enjoy in stories (and life) is oppressed people biding their time while planning a rebellion or escape from oppressors who inevitably become complacent.

Life is rarely black and white and this story showed that beautifully.

Also the production on this pair of episodes was gorgeous. It almost seemed like the music was written for the episodes.

ScubaMan

Post by ScubaMan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:08 pm

This 2-parter made me squirm (part 1) and then made me reflect about how power changes creatures (part 2). The story reminded me about a novel, called Past Watch (by Orson Scott Card). Now, I know our man Orson, flew off the rails with his homophobia & extreme religious views... but the novel does examine an interesting point -- what would have happened if North American First Nations had become a global power and made first contact with the Europeans?

Bravo, eh. :D
Sincerely, ScubaMan. Toronto, ON. Canada.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu May 09, 2019 2:17 am

Thanks everyone! It was a lot of work but a lot of fun to acquire and put together.
Spoiler:
This story winds up being pretty tragic in the end
but believe it or not, this one is ctually one of the lighter stories Tiptree wrote, IMO. She'd have wound up creating Black Mirror long before Charlie Brooker if you ask me.
"Give us all some Jelly"