Drabblecst 402- The Moving Stars

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
normsherman
Site Admin

Drabblecst 402- The Moving Stars

Post by normsherman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:35 am

We’re in the thick of Women and Aliens month, and we’re keeping it going with an original commissioned story— “The Moving Stars” by Premee Mohamed.

Premee Mohamed is an Indo-Caribbean scientist and specfic auhor based out of Canada. Her short fiction has appeared in Analog, Pseudopod, Mythic Delirium, Automata Review, and other venues. Her debut novel is scheduled for a 2020 release from Solaris Books. She can be found on Twitter at @premeesaurus.
"Give us all some Jelly"

ScubaMan

Re: Drabblecst 402- The Moving Stars

Post by ScubaMan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:23 pm

This week, we had at least two Amber Alerts here in the Greater Toronto Area. Dammit, this episode did an (unintended?) gut punch with me....
Spoiler:
...especially when the army base and aliens release a radio alert. I was expecting the station attendant to tackle the woman and the baby/ambassador. Or worse, I was expecting the mom to take out her penned-up rage against the man.
:shock:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ ... -1.5111884

The protagonist could have made some deadly choices. I wonder what long-term consequences now exist between our hero (?) and her husband. The author captured the nasty gossip between young mothers (that my sister told me about raising my niece & nephew).

I even detected a bit of a Fallout vibe from this story...
Spoiler:
Were the cars 100% electric or nuclear? :mrgreen:

normsherman
Site Admin

Re: Drabblecst 402- The Moving Stars

Post by normsherman » Thu May 09, 2019 2:08 am

Haha. Yah, man I couldn't tell how much I wanted it to swerve into the creepy "she really is a child abductor" route or not! Thought the author did a good job of playing with that ambiguity and made the right call in the end. We never really knew if we were dealing with an unreliable narrator or not (which I guess still makes it technically 'unreliable'...but then... who do we ever know who to believe in any story really!)... what if she was a crazy dance mom "my kid is special my kid is talented my kid is the Chosen One!" or if a mother does just know really know best sometimes.

The Fallout vibe I got from it Scuba was the 1950's kinda way the mom was treated and dismissed, nearly shipped off. Not that things are perfect these days but they certainly aren't as bad as they were then for women overall!
"Give us all some Jelly"