Drabblecast 415 – The Best Scarlet Ceremony Ever!

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
mightytwix
Forums Czar

Post by mightytwix » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:24 pm

by Shaenon K. Garrity
The Wakefields were the worst family in Oakes Isle. Even the grown-ups knew it. Whenever a chicken was stolen or the air was let out of a bike tire or a starving hex was chalked on a barn wall to sicken the sheep, there was a Wakefield behind it…

Episode art by Ridza Saratoga
Read by Renee Chambliss
Twabble: I stare into the face of my architect. I demand answers, but no reply is given. I throw my fist in anger. I break the mirror. by Nibeous
I keep telling you I grow sorghum...

mightytwix
Forums Czar

Re: Drabblecast 415 – The Best Scarlet Ceremony Ever!

Post by mightytwix » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:18 pm

I really enjoyed this story. Lightheart teenage angst with a touch of comming of age, set in a weird and wonderful world. It had an authentic diary feel to it, and the narration really help cement it.

I remember trying to stomach and comprehend the bible stories I was feed as a child. The strict sunday school teachers telling me it was all fact, Jonah was indeed swallowed by a whale, and that a little boy defeated a giant, and a magic man came back from the dead. And then being told by others that it was symbolic... well some was... other parts were real. This story plays on that balance, we must face with our own childhood mythos.

Luckly I was saved by his Noodlyness... I will forever be strained in his colander.
I keep telling you I grow sorghum...

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:06 pm

The classic movie Wicker Man a clear inspiration here. Fortunately, this story was so much better than the Nick Cage original. :)

This was a harder-than-usual HP Lovecraft month to pull off-- we had some authors back out on us last minute. But these featured authors really saved he day and I wound up having a great time putting them all together. In the end, we wound up with a Lovecraft month worthy of the continued Drabblecast legacy imo, which is important to me.
"Give us all some Jelly"

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:28 pm

mightytwix wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:18 pm
This story plays on that balance, we must face with our own childhood mythos.
Man, you're totally right. Sunday School, etc, it really does feel like a childhood mythos parallel.

Cthulhu slumbers this I know... for the Necronomicon tells me so...

You might have just inspired a song my friend. :)
"Give us all some Jelly"

Lisa3737

Post by Lisa3737 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:13 pm

This story was a GREAT addition to HP Lovecraft month! Also, the narration could not have been more perfect. Thanks!