Drabblecast 036 - Pumpkin Seeds

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Mr. Tweedy

Drabblecast 036 - Pumpkin Seeds

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:04 pm

Pumpkin Seeds by Kevin Anderson

Their orange gazes came from devilishly carved eyes and their vigilant stares sent a chill up Kindade’s neck. He had never liked the gutted vegetables that people found hauntingly ornamental this time of year...

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:10 pm

A coworker said I sounded like "a mental patient in his room" while listening to the intro and outro. Ouch. :cry:

This could be the best Drabblecast ever! The production was even better than normal, the story was genuinely suspenseful, and the jokes were enough to make you laugh like a mental patient. Nothing puts you in the Halloween spirit like an face-hugger planting demon spawn in your chest. Truer words were never spoken.
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:35 pm

:twisted: Absolute bravo! :twisted:
I have tried for years to master the art of telling scary stories while playing the organ, opening creaky doors, and firing weapons. I just about had it down, too. But then you had to go and add the joke about the Jehovah's Witnesses! It is too much! I just can't do it!

You ARE the Master!

hooloovoo33

Post by hooloovoo33 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:09 am

Haha. That was brilliant. The voice was perfect. And I loved the first story.

You nailed this one Norm.
-hooloovoo33

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:56 am

Hehe thanks. This one distracted me a bit too much from the necessary tediums of life and I'm still trying to catch up.
Glad people enjoyed though.

I especially liked the Drabble- What's the title Kevin, is that a figure of speech I've never heard?

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:51 am

It's a saying I've heard. Something like "If a bear is chasing you, you don't have to outrun the bear. You only have to outrun your camping buddies." The implication being that the bear will eat only the slowest camper, leaving the rest safe. Zombies=bear. I think the moral is that it's okay to let misfortune fall on someone else if you're smart enough to see it coming and get out of the way. Which is kind of immoral for a moral... or something.

Say, Norm, what's your day job? My wife wants to know. Do you do the music full-time or is that a second moonlight enterprise?

I work for a newspaper, an organ of the evil mainstream press, spurner of the profound and purveyor of the lowest common denominator. I make ads, but most of the products advertised don't kill people directly, so I'm not evil.
Advertise in this space!

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

You are correct sir

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:32 pm

Mr. Tweedy is exactly right. I have always heard it as a punchline to an old joke, my grand dad used to tell;

Two campers running from a bear - one says to the other, "We are never gonna outrun this bear." The other camper says, "I'm not trying to outrun the bear, I'm trying to outrun you."

Derm

Excellent

Post by Derm » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:38 am

This one was really good. The flash story was the first good one I've heard for a long time (there really is afrightening amount of dreadful flash fiction out there) I guessed the ending from the title, but the it didn't really matter because it was well set up and well told. The main story took a while to get going, but when it did, it was excellent, and Kincade is a man after my own heart (and possibly my own liver too if he get his hands on it). What I liked most about the whole thing though was norm gradually losing the will to live as the body count of awful halloween jokes mounted up in the links.

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:24 pm

I also really liked this drabble. I love zombies, and I'm always interested to see different approaches to the zombie-story narrative.

I enjoyed the production of the main story; the music really enhanced the drama (I'd be curious to listen to the story without it).

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:39 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Say, Norm, what's your day job? My wife wants to know. Do you do the music full-time or is that a second moonlight enterprise?

I work for a newspaper, an organ of the evil mainstream press, spurner of the profound and purveyor of the lowest common denominator. I make ads, but most of the products advertised don't kill people directly, so I'm not evil.
Indeed, the music is just for fun. I have two main gigs- I manage a nonprofit music outreach program during the day and teach classical guitar in the afternoon/eve.

Adverts eh? Any with olifonts?
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:51 am

No. We've got serif, sans serif and script fonts. Never heard of an oli font before...

The job basically sucks. It pays crap, is über boring and there a lot of cranky ladies who think I'm either ignorant or oh-so-cute due to my being the same age as their children. I mostly just cram text into little boxes. Here's a sample:

I've been looking for something else for, like, the last year, but no one seems interested. Sigh. People just don't recognize my genius. Maybe if I replaced my skull with a glass dome so they could see my brain...
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:10 pm

I'm not one much for horror, but gads that was a great story. Your character execution (no pun intended) was top-notch.

Tom

DKT

Post by DKT » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:24 pm

Holy cow was that a great Halloween story! Bummer I heard it last night instead of Halloween, but I really enjoyed listening to it. :wink: Well done all around, you guys.

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:47 pm

Woohoo! Two wonderful stories by Kevin Anderson!
The Drabble had a perfect rhythm, very well written with a great, Halloweeny gruwesome ending. Yeah, great performance by Norm, too!

Pumpkin Seeds had some great turns! I really enjoyed that, although the end was a bit predictable. But I've learned not to listen to a story for the end, but to enjoy the ride. I did enjoy the ride!

The sounds and special effects of the episodes too were great! The whole episode was a great performance. Well done, Norm!
Even listening to it now, on a very hot June Sunday in Holland, I got into the Halloween mood (we don't even really have Halloween in Holland, though the stores try to impose it on us a little more each year).
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:33 am

zZzacha wrote:Woohoo! Two wonderful stories by Kevin Anderson!
The Drabble had a perfect rhythm, very well written with a great, Halloweeny gruwesome ending. Yeah, great performance by Norm, too!

Pumpkin Seeds had some great turns! I really enjoyed that, although the end was a bit predictable. But I've learned not to listen to a story for the end, but to enjoy the ride. I did enjoy the ride!

The sounds and special effects of the episodes too were great! The whole episode was a great performance. Well done, Norm!
Even listening to it now, on a very hot June Sunday in Holland, I got into the Halloween mood (we don't even really have Halloween in Holland, though the stores try to impose it on us a little more each year).
Thanks zZzacha. Yah, I'll always be particulary proud of how things turned out for that episode. Halloween is the Drabblecast Christmas and we plan on delivering again this year. :twisted:
"Give us all some Jelly"

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:17 am

Still catching up. I've gotta say- this was an amazing episode, even for DC standards. This wins the podcast Emmy's in my book. Hilarious fake narrator from Tales from the Crypt, fantastic Drabble and story from Kevin, incredible production and narration by Norm, it just doesn't get better than this.

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:08 pm

Sorry about this shameless self-promotion, but The Dunsteef just posted a prequel to Pumpkinseeds. Its called Halloween in July, and I think the guys did a great job. The tie in is not till the end, so wait for it. Hope you like it. Happy Halloween.

http://dunesteef.com/2009/03/27/page-88 ... -anderson/

…and then there is this. Squidkin

And one more intrusive bit of self-promotion, My story Fear Factor is available at Sniplits.com FREE, until Monday. I'm the featured author this week. Please don't make fun of the shirt. It was a gift.
http://www.sniplits.com/
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Kevin Anderson wrote:Please don't make fun of the shirt. It was a gift.
http://www.sniplits.com/
Dude, how old are you? You look like my dad.

ImageImage
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:
That is SO cold. Now he gets to be a pin-up in Kendall's room.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tastycakes

Post by tastycakes » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:07 pm

strawman wrote:
Mr. Tweedy wrote:
That is SO cold. Now he gets to be a pin-up in Kendall's room.

Tasty, indeed. I think I've got a spot directly over my bed so they are the last thing I see before sleep and the first thing I see waking up.
One day he will look into what a ‘stigmata’ really is; for now, it is his trump card for getting out of work. He simply says ‘stigmata’ and they say ‘shit, hope you feel better soon.’ End of story.