Classics 09 (EP 128) - The End of the Universe

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Classics 09 (EP 128) - The End of the Universe

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:14 am

Update (Wednesday, October 8th, 2014): Drabbleclassics 9 - The End of the Universe
Feature: The End of the Universe by Eugie Foster
Drabble: The Story by Michael Young
Genres: Drabbleclassics Sci-Fi
Original Episode: 128

Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009
"Countdown commencing," the computer announced. "Termination of the universe in 10 . . . 9 . . . 8 . . ."

Eight seconds until the end of everything. No Earth, no galaxy, no existence...

Music by: Steve Stanger, Paradroid, Chris Willits and Norm Sherman
Episode Art: Bo Kaier
Originally published in Darker Matter, May 2007.

Twabble: “ When She awoke her brain felt like it was wrapped in gauze.
It wasn't her apt. and it wasn't her blood, but it smelled good. ” by Revsleestaxx
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: It's now a classic!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Drabblecast 128- The End of the Universe by Eugie Foster

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:47 am

It seems to me this was either a science-fantasy piece about the end of the universe or it was the story of a bunch of friends dropping acid and having a threshold level psychedelic trip, complete with the standard death and rebirth experience, not that I'd know anything about that personally :P

The story made good use of that ambiguity, as even the central character wasn't sure

Either way I thought it was a well written tale with some very vivid imagery.

Loved the graphic of the jig-saw universe, btw.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Gligstith(click)optok

Post by Gligstith(click)optok » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:53 pm

I started listening to this story in bed after my wife went to sleep. Usually a strange story is just the thing to disengage my mind before putting up the iPhone and drifting into dreamland.

Unfortunately it had been a long day and I fell asleep early in this one. Furthermore, this was the only Drabblecast episode on my phone and it was set to repeat.

As I drove to work this morning I listened to the entire episode and realized if there is anything to subliminal sleep learning, I'm screwed.

Somehow reality feels different today.

Rish Outfield

Post by Rish Outfield » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:18 pm

You know what, I think it IS because of you that God doesn't love me.

Other than that, nice editing on the show, with really cool music. Thanks!

finalrune

Post by finalrune » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:42 am

Spectacular production value here, makes me think Norm should get into professional audiobook recording (um... but please don't do that). That said, being a tremendous fan of audio drama, I was expecting to enjoy the story more than I did. The concept was kind of fun but I didn't find myself caring about the characters or the plight of the universe. Probably just a deep-seated subconscious nihilism.
Fred Greenhalgh
FinalRune Productions / The Cleansed

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:15 pm

finalrune wrote:Spectacular production value here, makes me think Norm should get into professional audiobook recording (um... but please don't do that). That said, being a tremendous fan of audio drama, I was expecting to enjoy the story more than I did. The concept was kind of fun but I didn't find myself caring about the characters or the plight of the universe. Probably just a deep-seated subconscious nihilism.
Norm needs to go all the way to the stars. (then blow them up and let them reform)

Don't worry though, Matt Groenig (Portland, Native.. braggn rights) still publishes his very primitive early comic strip "Life In Hell" every week in the newspaper, even though he obviously doesn't need the money.

So Norm, when you hit the big time, remember Matt, and keep giving us the drabbly goodness.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:20 pm

finalrune wrote:Spectacular production value here, makes me think Norm should get into professional audiobook recording (um... but please don't do that). That said, being a tremendous fan of audio drama, I was expecting to enjoy the story more than I did. The concept was kind of fun but I didn't find myself caring about the characters or the plight of the universe. Probably just a deep-seated subconscious nihilism.
Existential humor. Hah, Love it. nah not really I just can't bring myself to care, somhow.

:)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:40 am

Great story, great production, blah blah blah. At 19:50, right after she says "God won't forgive me!" and tries to stab you with a stylus- terrible sound effect, man. I mean, really? I didn't know a stylus made a 1990's sword slashing sound.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:12 am

^^^ Yeah, that was conspicuously horrible. It so bad that it actually took me out of the story and go "Huh? What the heck was that?" Norm, I'd go back and take that out, replace the file.

Other than that, it was a pretty good episode. Foster's stories are always more about imagery than plot, and that was certainly the case here. Lots of really cool imagery, but the story was too abstract for me to really empathize with anybody. Fun trip while it lasted.
Advertise in this space!

internalogic

Post by internalogic » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:07 pm

May I please know the name of the song that plays during the drabble? During 'the story'.

Well, well chosen. And well, well narrated!
O Lord, Protect us from Your followers!

internalogic

Post by internalogic » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:49 pm

:-) Couldn't wait. I found the song. Metroid (aka The Lovers of Samus Aran) by Christopher Willits. Thanks for introducing me to this artist.

I want to give you real credit/props for your great ability to recognize what sounds an dmusic would create a particular atmosphere. When it's already a fait accompli it's all too easy to take it for granted. But you had to hear the music and then envision how it would mesh with the reading, when it was still just a potential.

I think it worked wonderfully. Thanks again.
O Lord, Protect us from Your followers!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:39 pm

Haha I just want to apologize for the stylus sound effect-- and thank you for pointing it out. Clearly that was an accident- must have accidently dragged, dropped, swapped, something it in post production. Easy fix, will reup the ep next week.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Big Anklevich

Post by Big Anklevich » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:43 am

That was really good stuff this week. I liked the full cast thing. Too bad I didn't get the chance to push Rish down and take the role from him. Damn Canada!

Oh, and that artwork was awesome.

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Well, if there was any doubt about Norm's production chops being on par with big studio talent, their gone now.
I really liked the story but couldn't help feeling heavy sci-fi movie dejavu. Not from any one particular (well, maybe Event Horizon), but more from all of them. Am I the only one who felt this way?

There were plenty of cool ideas I haven't heard before (loved the spells/mathematics hybrid technology) but the characters played out like a game of Final Fantasy I for old school Nintendo. Instead of a Thief, Warrior, Black and White Mage you've got a male protagonist captain, crazy tech nerd, fat peaceful guy and hot chick with blonde dreadlocks at different stations.
Like the protagonist himself, I also found it hard to believe he would have been able to rise from such drugged out, homeless, starving depths to captain a ship responsible for stopping the end of the universe. I find it more likely that it actually was a monomaniacal drugged out dream of his, and I'm glad it was left ambiguous, in fact, I wish that ambiguity had been broadened.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:19 pm

Not all cliche's are necessary a bad thing though. Sometimes there is an homage intent.

Also, let's consider where science-fiction would be, or wouldn't be with some of the classic cliches...

The Pod for instance. No Pods, No SF... (Subject for another thread occurs.)

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:46 am

I really enjoyed the creepy aspect of this. There were parts where I was genuinely chilled, just felt all shivery inside, and to me that's a solid indication of good fiction. Eugie Foster is another of my favorite short fiction authors and she continues to please with this tale.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:45 pm

I'm usually hit or miss with Eugie Foster, some of her stuff is just so far out there that it goes over my head. I liked this one and the production was top notch as always.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Classics 09 (EP 128) - The End of the Universe

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:57 pm

{Marker for start of Classics comments. See Pondspider's suggestion.}