Classics 04 (EP 129) – Annabelle’s Alphabet

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Rish Outfield

Re: Drabblecast 129- Annabelle's Alphabet by Tim Pratt

Postby Rish Outfield » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:35 pm

This was probably my favorite episode this year. Or this week, anyway. It was sad, lovely, and somehow unsettling. I honestly don't know how a writer pulls off all three at once.

Great production as usual. I think from now on, I'll just mention if Norm's music and reading are NOT awesome (it could save me some time).

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Rish Outfield wrote:Great production as usual. I think from now on, I'll just mention if Norm's music and reading are NOT awesome (it could save me some time).

Please, no. We'd never hear from you at all then!
Advertise in this space!

DKT

Postby DKT » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:48 pm

Wow. This story gave me chills from I think the letter B. Heck, maybe toward the end of letter A. And I just kept shivering the whole time. Amazing story yet again by Tim Pratt, and it's definitely in my top Drabblecasts. The lyricism, Annabelle's inner beauty and innocence, the parents as they become more and more estranged...everything just worked so well.

I agree with Tweedy that it was c;ear what was going to happen from very early on, but if anything, that just upped the tension for me personally, and certainly made me appreciate it all the more for ending so perfectly.

j.ronald.lee

Postby j.ronald.lee » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:24 pm

To me, this story was all about the mood - the fact that we flat out knew where it was going before we were half way through the alphabet - made it something to just lay back in and just be. I live in the woods, and could picture Annabelle playing near me as I listened.

As for the drabble, this one was my favorite, hands down. I know I haven't been around as long as most of you, but this one captured the essence of what makes a great drabble. Creeped out in the beginning, but not so much as you are by the final word. Great stuff.

vagrant

Postby vagrant » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:00 pm

I really REALLY liked this story. not my favorite, but i still liked it. Although i most likely wouldn't have liked it if not for the Drabble Gangs production. The music was perfect to set the mood, and norm singing "Annabelle" sent shivers up my spine.
I keep looking for a way to tell Tim Pratt that its over, we need to see other people. You know just let him down easy so we can still be friends. But then he goes and does something like this. I mean, ask norm, he seems to have the same problem.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:08 pm

j.ronald.lee wrote:
As for the drabble, this one was my favorite, hands down. I know I haven't been around as long as most of you, but this one captured the essence of what makes a great drabble. Creeped out in the beginning, but not so much as you are by the final word. Great stuff.

Ya got a good eye fer Drabble then sir. This'ns my fav of the year so far too.

vagrant wrote:I keep looking for a way to tell Tim Pratt that its over, we need to see other people. You know just let him down easy so we can still be friends. But then he goes and does something like this. I mean, ask norm, he seems to have the same problem.

Yah, I fear he will run out of shorter pieces for us soon. It'll be a dreary day indeed.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Beth Peters

Postby Beth Peters » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:12 am

That was really just awesome. Such a good story and done so well. I know competition will be stiff with all the amazing stuff Drabblecast has been pumping out, but I can see this story being in the top 5 for People's Choice Award next year.
I was very impressed with the mood-spacing between the letters of the alphabet, some were very florid and sugary and then WHAM you get R is for ripping or something, with very visceral language that just kicks you in the gut.
I had to take a minute after this one and pause. Then when I pushed play again Norm somehow had me laughing within 5 seconds. Only on Drabblecast
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

Talia

Postby Talia » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:55 am

Always love me some Tim Pratt and this was no exception. Beautiful!

And in regards to the drabble, I must say, the author seems to have an obsession with mustaches doesn't he. ;) I now envision him as one of those "world facial hair championships" entrants, with a luxurious 'stache that curls up past his temples.

zZzacha

Postby zZzacha » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:41 am

A beautiful story! I agree with Rish Outfield: Norm always makes a wonderful production, that is just the default for the Drabblecast. I don't like repeating myself, but I love spreading the love, so I'll just keep saying it: Great production, beautiful music, awesome voice, beautiful telling of a wonderful story.

I loved that the story was made into a list of things, without that list becoming annoying. In quite a clever way, the list was there, but the story was still a story. I loved how the list didn't take me out of the flow of listening to a beautiful story, but it just pulled me extra into it.

This story is definitely one of my favorite DC stories!
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

strawman

Postby strawman » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:14 pm

I wonder what it was about the Alphabet device that worked for this story. I see no use for it other than mood. It sets a very unusual, child-like mood, so it works because it is a mysterious, childhood theme. Still, it just barely works, as it doesn't serve to advance the plot or characters- it may actually serve as a kind of distraction from the details, maybe to keep you from questions (such as how a girl got wings), and a pacing mechanism. I liked.

The Drabble was quite good as well. But I imagined an ending in which the killer, rather than ending with a kind of blase anticipation of acquiring a new facial feature, would awaken the next morning with his victim's scream on his face.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:08 pm

strawman wrote:I wonder what it was about the Alphabet device that worked for this story. I see no use for it other than mood. It sets a very unusual, child-like mood, so it works because it is a mysterious, childhood theme. Still, it just barely works, as it doesn't serve to advance the plot or characters- it may actually serve as a kind of distraction from the details, maybe to keep you from questions (such as how a girl got wings), and a pacing mechanism. I liked.

I think it worked as a mechanism to allow the almost random compositing of chapters.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

tastycakes

Postby tastycakes » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:31 pm

strawman wrote:I wonder what it was about the Alphabet device that worked for this story?

Maybe b/c you learned some exciting new letters?

"R"? I wonder what that looks like. WOAH! That's crazy, kind of like a "B," but it isn't connected on the bottom.
One day he will look into what a ‘stigmata’ really is; for now, it is his trump card for getting out of work. He simply says ‘stigmata’ and they say ‘shit, hope you feel better soon.’ End of story.

RG

Postby RG » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:13 am

Talia wrote:And in regards to the drabble, I must say, the author seems to have an obsession with mustaches doesn't he. ;) I now envision him as one of those "world facial hair championships" entrants, with a luxurious 'stache that curls up past his temples.

Modern literature woefully underutilizes the mustache. I intend to single-handedly change that.

And I don't have a mustache myself, but I've put a down payment on one.

Foxfyre Recluse

Postby Foxfyre Recluse » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:33 am

This was an amazing story and quite unique. The alphabet is something that is completely innocent which all children learn, or should learn. The organization was scrambled, in a good way. It was like a mystery as the story takes each letter, turns it into a puzzle piece and fits it in somewhere.
Umm... left then right

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, Foxfyre.
Advertise in this space!

phthalo

Postby phthalo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:23 pm

I'd also like to post my kudos for this story - brilliant production (particularly choice of music) brought out some beautiful images. I spent the first half of the alphabet thinking that she was born a he (was Tim trying to hint at this a little?) a la The Wasp Factory, so was relieved to uncross my legs when I found out it was all about wings.

myke_deschain

Postby myke_deschain » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:12 am

phthalo wrote:a la The Wasp Factory

was this good? i stopped reading it after a little bit seemed to be a lot of nonsensical violence... I mean not i'm some conservative uptight hippie.. but it just didn't tickle me the way i like..

... but i digress...

I really liked this story.. It was a powerful story, a different pace for Dc; something with a more serious overtone. None of the letters felt forced just to keep with the format he was rolling with. The Dad was wonderfully developed character, actually all three of the family were very well developed, all very, very believable... Though norm was a bit of a buzz kill on my thoughtfulness after the story with the circumcision comment, way to kill the mood norm...

phthalo

Postby phthalo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:50 am

myke_deschain wrote:
phthalo wrote:a la The Wasp Factory

I mean not i'm some conservative uptight hippie..

Do they come in conservative uptight form now? Whatever will they think of next..

I love Iain Banks' sci-fi, but I also find the thriller stuff to be a bit too messy.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:54 am

phthalo wrote:I'd also like to post my kudos for this story - brilliant production (particularly choice of music) brought out some beautiful images. I spent the first half of the alphabet thinking that she was born a he (was Tim trying to hint at this a little?) a la The Wasp Factory, so was relieved to uncross my legs when I found out it was all about wings.

+100 Kudo's for referencing "The Wasp Factory" I have a signed first edition of that back home in Portland. I love the review quote for it from one of the London papers that Iain Banks proudly displays on his later editions. "Rubbish"
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

myke_deschain

Postby myke_deschain » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:07 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:Iain Banks proudly displays on his later editions. "Rubbish"

Yea i remember reading a review and back story on the book. It sounded like it was trashed and caught a lot of flack for it...

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”