Drabblecast 132 - Doubleheader IV

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
jonathancg

Re: Drabblecast 132- Doubleheader IV: from Bruce Holland Rogers

Post by jonathancg » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:09 am

Okay, I'm a lifelong U2 fan, and even I loved the parody. That was simply Epic. Even if the chosen song parodied was off one of the greatest albums of our time...
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:15 am

I love U2. I just like making fun of Bono. :-)
"Give us all some Jelly"

deflective

Post by deflective » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:54 am

Bono likes making fun of Bono. anybody see the entourage finale?

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:56 am

Looking back through the past 20-30 episodes, I can honestly say there hasn't been a single story that I haven't been thoroughly entertained by. I think it might go back even farther than that. Just giving props to the editors here (Norm and Connor of course deserve all they are already getting.)
I know everyone always says the narration and production values are what set Drabblecast several notches above the rest, but honestly I think it's fair to say that the story selection is consistently better over all as well.
I can go through the archive list and recall the plot of every single episode, and I can't do that with any given 10 episodes of the other fiction podcasts I subscribe to. Just sayin', since this seems to be a "touchy feely" thread already. :-)

Oh yah, and obviously I thought this Double Header was stellar. Bruce H. Rogers has knocked em out of the park every time on this podcast. I hope we see him as a regular like Eugie, Kevin Anderson and others.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:00 am

And my personal favorite, David Levine! I am simply awestruck at the range from Charlie the Purple Giraffe to The Babel Probe, = Matter to Antimatter. I kowtow before him.
Just listened again to Rogers' Dinosaur, and appreciate its beauty more with each listen. It really is exquisitely crafted, beautifully faceted. And the care that Norm takes to do it full justice really does elevate it even more. I can't imagine how it could be better. If I were a talented author, I would hire Norm to produce my material.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

HPHovercraft

Post by HPHovercraft » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:06 pm

[My first post on the forums, please forgive me if I'm making a terrible faux pas or two]

I have to say that I enjoyed the first story more than the second. I think it fell apart for me when it started heading toward bedtime, and didn't end there with a haha-it-was-all-a-dream or some other deus ex machina to spare us the inevitable.

Having said that the author pulled it off, I think.

...And despite myself, once I realised they *were* going through with it, I found myself hoping we were going to switch to the, ahem, other halves for a while.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:08 pm

Welcome to the forums Howard.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:14 pm

HPHovercraft wrote:[My first post on the forums, please forgive me if I'm making a terrible faux pas or two]
We spell it "foe pa" here. That's strike one.
Advertise in this space!

tastycakes

Post by tastycakes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:29 am

Richmazzer wrote:Looking back through the past 20-30 episodes, I can honestly say there hasn't been a single story that I haven't been thoroughly entertained by. I think it might go back even farther than that. Just giving props to the editors here (Norm and Connor of course deserve all they are already getting.)
I know everyone always says the narration and production values are what set Drabblecast several notches above the rest, but honestly I think it's fair to say that the story selection is consistently better over all as well.
I can go through the archive list and recall the plot of every single episode, and I can't do that with any given 10 episodes of the other fiction podcasts I subscribe to. Just sayin', since this seems to be a "touchy feely" thread already. :-)
:twisted:
Don't get confused, that's just my bashful smile.
One day he will look into what a ‘stigmata’ really is; for now, it is his trump card for getting out of work. He simply says ‘stigmata’ and they say ‘shit, hope you feel better soon.’ End of story.

F5iver

Post by F5iver » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:18 am

Magical realism, or magical surrealism?

Either way, delightful. :)

Talia

Post by Talia » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:28 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:
HPHovercraft wrote:[My first post on the forums, please forgive me if I'm making a terrible faux pas or two]
We spell it "foe pa" here. That's strike one.
What did Pennsylvania ever do to you!

Anyway. I think Mr. Rogers (heh! Sorry, that always brings good old Fred to mind) has now topped my list of favorite short fiction writers, alongside Eugie Foster and Tim Pratt. The Wrong Cart in particular was delightful, particularly because it was DELICIOUSLY absurd while aptly pointing out what seems to be a fundimental truth about much of humanity. Good times! Between this and the lovely 'Dinosaur,' I find I just may have to subscribe to his short stories.

Moar moar moar. :)

Now excuse me I must go back to llama wrangling. The 2010 Olympics are coming up and I need to be ready to sweep to glorious victory. (don't mind the wookiees. I only wrangle them on my off days).

RG

Post by RG » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:06 pm

I've been a fan of Rogers for years. I bought a book of his short stories a long time ago, called "Flaming Arrow," if I remember right.

No surprise that I enjoyed both of these stories with a similar theme. The Wrong Cart was the better of the two for me, because I like the absurd. I admit if I had written the story myself, I would have had the man go home with the other wife, not the husband. I don't know if the husband would have even occurred to me.

A Baker's Dozen kind of reminded me of something Bradbury might have done, and The Wrong Cart had a Woody Allen feel to it. There were a couple lines in an old Allen humor piece from Side Effects about a man waking up in the middle of the night and robbing the prowler in his house. From that moment on they change places, the prowler goingback to bed with the other guy's wife. Rogers managed to use the same basic idea and come up with a whole story to good effect.

myke_deschain

Post by myke_deschain » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:20 am

was that jazz song in the beginning of the second story "so what" ?

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:16 am

myke_deschain wrote:was that jazz song in the beginning of the second story "so what" ?
Bluegrass version-- Good ear.
"Give us all some Jelly"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:30 am

Talia wrote:Now excuse me I must go back to llama wrangling. The 2010 Olympics are coming up and I need to be ready to sweep to glorious victory. (don't mind the wookiees. I only wrangle them on my off days).
Really looking forward to the 2010 Olympics. My cousin, Doug, is the defensive coach for the Canadian women's hockey team. A Gold Medal would go real well in his trophy case next to his two Stanley Cup rings.

That would almost be as cool as appearing on the Drabblecast. (almost...)

(apologies for shameless family name-dropping, but we Lidsters are proud 'o him.)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Maplesugar

Re: Drabblecast 132- Doubleheader IV: from Bruce Holland Rog

Post by Maplesugar » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Baker's Dozen made my day!

I just listened to it while riding the bus after my French Lit class where we dug deep into the psyche of a total f-up failure of a serial killer psychopath, with a brain-hurting Epistemology essay to write when I arrived. Windy, wet, dreary October afternoon, everyone on the bus was cranky and leaking mid-term stress vibes.

The story made me curious at first, and then I was so pleasantly surprised by the ending that I actually smiled, my mood did a 180, and life is good!

Thank you very very much for improving my day.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:57 am

The DC has a habit of doing this every so often.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Before this episode I had not realized that Bruce Holland Rogers is awesome, and exemplary of the weirdness valued round the Drabblecast. Above most other story traits, I think I value weirdness and original ideas the most, (hence why Drabblecast is one of my favorite fiction sources) and these stories did well.

Baker's Dozen was quite fun, I liked all the made up names and stories.

But The Wrong Cart was amazingly awesome. It took a simple truth and expanded it to the point of the absolutely absurd, which both made a point and was friggin hilarious. I'd say it wasn't at all homophobic (as someone had earlier suggested). It's not a knock against homosexuality, it is just plain absurd to jump into bed with someone who is a member of a sex you're not sexually interested in, just to avoid the embarrassment of admitting your mistake. And the fact that the other partner NOT ONLY doesn't notice that this is not his wife, but doesn't even comment on the fact that his wife apparently has sprouted a penis. Hilarious!

I know I'm in the minority for this last comment, but I didn't really enjoy the Mongolian Death Worm series. I'm not sure why, really, as it's up the route of silliness that I usually like. There were a lot of parts where I noted "Yup, that should be funny", but it never really felt funny to me. It might've been partly because it was just so long--so far, the only multi-part story I've liked on the Drabblecast is Mongoose. The pace on this one was just too slow.