Classics 18 (EP 53) - Sing

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Mr. Tweedy

Classics 18 (EP 53) - Sing

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:09 pm

Update (Friday, March 13th, 2015): Drabbleclassics 18 - Sing
Feature: Sing by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
Drabble: Blessed Silence by Alfred Bilezerian
Genres: Drabbleclassics Sci-Fi
Original Episode: 53

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008
Child, you sing all the time- when you’re walking, when you’re eating, even when you’re laughing. You people make the most beautiful music in the entire galaxy...

Episode Art: Richard K. Green
Originally published in Aboriginal SF, February 1987.

No twabble for this episode.
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: It's now a classic!

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:11 am

Very well written, textured story, and I really like the image of souls as songs.
Norm's voicing adds another dimension, too, as if this alien world were somewhere in rural Louisianna, which who knows? That's the land of Brittney and Blanche Dubois and Big Daddy. But this is a softer, fairyland alien world, more like barefoot in the Florida Panhandle.

Anyone care to venture a guess why the metal tube sounded so awful?

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:31 am

Very nice.

Also, when/where are you going to post the Saki links you mentioned in the commentary section? I have some favorites of my own to plug. (After all, as you well know, my climbing putella is the only one in England, since the one at Chatsworth died last winter...)

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:59 am

strawman wrote:
Anyone care to venture a guess why the metal tube sounded so awful?
I figured it just sounded awful because it was so foreign sounding and alien (to them).
bolddeceiver wrote:
Also, when/where are you going to post the Saki links you mentioned in the commentary section? I have some favorites of my own to plug. (After all, as you well know, my climbing putella is the only one in England, since the one at Chatsworth died last winter...)
Oh, I just put a link to a collection in notes on main page. Perhaps start new Saki thread in Drabblenews to plug and discuss?
"Give us all some Jelly"

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:10 am

Other possibilities on his distaste for the music:

-Its musicality is so inferior to the narrator's species's "souls" as to sound painfully ugly
-Key parts of the flute's musical range fall within the "blind spot" of the aliens' hearing (though that seems less likely, since it seems that they do percieve that sound, just not in any way they recognize as hearing)

Still, Norm's guess seems most likely. There's no accounting for taste even on the individual level, and between terrestrial cultures the divide can be even more pronounced -- all I have to do to remember that is listen to Chinese opera (sorry if you're a fan, but like most western listeners, it sounds dissonant and harsh to me). Picture that difference between cultures...

G. E. Lee

Post by G. E. Lee » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:32 pm

bolddeceiver wrote:Other possibilities on his distaste for the music:

Key parts of the flute's musical range fall within the "blind spot" of the aliens' hearing (though that seems less likely, since it seems that they do percieve that sound, just not in any way they recognize as hearing)
That was my guess as well, but the story leaves plenty of room for speculation.
Good story!
mogera robusta

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:48 pm

It blows my mind that this would come up on the NYTimes today

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/2 ... ex.html?hp

Maybe we all, in a sense, live in silver rocket ships.

ryman

Great Story and great show (podcast)!

Post by ryman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:59 am

Norm,

I have been listening for about 8 months, since I got my iPhone and I love the show. I heard about your podcast from Escape Pod. Steve is great, but I love the way you give character to the stories you read. You are a pleasure and fun. I also REALLY like the song you did for this show. If you wrote and sang it, then I would love to get a high quality version of it on my iPod. I seriously thought it was great. If you have other tunes you have greated, post them!

AWESOME Stuff!

-=Ryan

normsherman
Site Admin

Re: Great Story and great show (podcast)!

Post by normsherman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:25 am

ryman wrote: If you wrote and sang it, then I would love to get a high quality version of it on my iPod.

-=Ryan
Did you mean for last week's episode in Sleep Age? I can throw up an mp3 of Human Battery in the mp3 warehouse.

By the way- did anyone catch any familiar musical motives in this weeks story soundtrack? teehee...
"Give us all some Jelly"

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:46 pm

Yeah, I asked myself, "What's Norm trying to do with that?" Is the spaceship going to turn out to have the #67 on it? Does the guy playing the flute have a monobrow? Or does Norm merely have this tune stuck in his head?
Then I figured it's now like the 5 notes from Close Encounters, part of the culture of the DC genre.
I finally decided you just like messing with peoples' heads.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:54 pm

My ignorance is disgusting. I don't recognize it. :oops:
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:15 pm

Rastee's song.... think "Jelly is a bouncy treat..."
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:34 pm

Oh.

:oops:

This story didn't really do much for me. The aliens were unique and Norm's presentation of them was a nice departure from the typical. But there wasn't enough story going on to hold my interest and no ideas compelling enough to be memorable. The idea of beings continually expressing their inner being but not themselves having the senses to perceive that expression is interesting, with the potential for profundity. Also with great potential is the idea that being confronted with one's own soul is fatal. But nothing was done with those ideas. The plot pretty much amounted to a simple statement of them, then–the end.

To me, "Sing" will be remembered merely as "that one story where Norm made the aliens sound backwoodsy."
Advertise in this space!

Dr. Sax

Post by Dr. Sax » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:07 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. After listening to it twice, I found myself deep in thought about the possibility of a spirit being tangible to another species's perception, along with thinking about sound itself. the concepts were intriguing enough to cause me to enjoy the story days after listening to it.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Had me thinking about the same things. Welcome to the forums Dr. Sax!
"Give us all some Jelly"

anadrea

Post by anadrea » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:29 pm

I really liked this story too. It actually had me thinking a lot about copyright and file sharing - I could see it as a really dramatic metaphor for ripping off someone else's work. Can anyone else see that, or am I just being weird?

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:55 pm

This is Drabblecast anadrea, weird is good. :-)

Can you expound on the file sharing thing some? You mean the metaphor is a song/soul = copyrighted file? If so, that's pretty interesting- the irony in the story then would be that hearing your own song is what kills you. I got the impression that the aliens could hear other aliens songs but their own would be in a frequency that killed them. But maybe I'm wrong, I should have a relisten.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:25 am

The writing in this story was truly outstanding

jalan1

Post by jalan1 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:42 am

Dr. Sax wrote: After listening to it twice, I found myself deep in thought about the possibility of a spirit being tangible to another species's perception, along with thinking about sound itself. the concepts were intriguing enough to cause me to enjoy the story days after listening to it.
This mirrors my thoughts on this story. I've never thought of how different species/races "souls," or, interpretations of "soul" may be. That the story was written with fantastic technique, the narration and production were incredible and exquisitely tailored to the story- these things were icing on the cake. This story is a treasure.

moonowl

Re: Drabblecast 53 - Sing by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Post by moonowl » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:18 am

Hey, I'm chugging through the archives and I wanted to share how much I really, really liked this story.

About 2 years ago I started to play guitar. Translation: I'm still pretty bad.

The thing is, I really am not into playing music someone else wrote. I do, mostly for educational purposes. However, the only time I feel like I'm 'making music' is when my instructor gets me to jam the blues with him. I know the scales and the 'rules', but I haven't played long enough or imitated enough guitarists to sound like anything else but what I play, whatever I feel like playing right then. There is no formula yet.

Oh I'm waxing poetic. I really suck most of the time. But it's mine. It came from me, and not from an LP or a tab online or me even trying to write something. The soul as unique music, and how trying too hard to sound good, or capture the music another makes, you'll miss your own unique tune. There are rare little moments and flashes when I get beginner's luck when I'm noodling. Sometimes I hit on something and I go wow, I made that. That came from me.

Maybe some other musicians know what I mean. So I really, really can grok this story.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing