Drabblecast 135 - “Hello,” Said the Stick

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 135 - “Hello,” Said the Stick

Post by Kevin Anderson » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:10 am

Drabble- Eat the Dog
by Reverend John Sleestaxx

“Hello,” Said the Stick
by Michael Swanwick

“Hello,” said the stick.
The soldier stopped, and looked around. He did not touch the hilt of his sword, but he adjusted his stance so he could reach it quickly, if need be. But there was nothing to be seen. The moors stretched flat and empty for miles about. “Who said that?”

Music by Gringo Motel
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Nervous Tick

Re: Drabblecast 135- “Hello,” Said the Stick by Michael Swanwick

Post by Nervous Tick » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:53 am

I liked this one. I have to admit, not being a huge fan of most of quest type fantasy stories, I almost hightailed it at the mention of a “quarter staff”. Luckily I kept faith in the most holy Podcast of Drabble. Trusting in the all knowing Norm to guide me through to the light, I carried on. Luckily I was not disappointed. If only more fantasy had radiation poisoning, perhaps my life would be quite different…

PS: Steve Eley makes nearly as good a stick as he does a dog. (See Escape Pod Episode 169)

midnightzulu

Post by midnightzulu » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:20 pm

Enjoyed this one. I love it when genres collide in an understated fashion. Although, I guess radiation sickness and talking sticks aren't exactly subtle, but whatever.

Agreed, Steve Eley's performance deserves note. He *was* the stick.

revsleestaxx

Post by revsleestaxx » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:23 pm

I liked the concept of constrained warfare and restricted weaponry. And yet there is still war. You know if you take enough of my tools away I will not even bother trying anymore. I would not have bothered to make a super sword or a stick that can hit an acorn a country mile

Part of the fun of war is the destruction.

Oh yeah and i got a real charge out of hearing my drabble and seeing the hits increase on my blog. very cool thank you Norm for the opportunity to be internet famous for a week.
The Reverend's Razor
"If you don't know where it is, you don't know where it's not."

FeedBooks = http://www.feedbooks.com/userbooks/rece ... user=37332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:35 pm

I'm two Drabblecasts behind, (hey it's one long-ass drive from Portland OR to Cape Code) but if this evokes Steve's performance in "How I mounted Goldie..." I'm all over it. My favorite EP episode by far.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:20 pm

Fun, if slightly creepy, story. I do wonder why he didnt take some time to at least lightly bury the thing. Or maybe set the damn thing on fire.
midnightzulu wrote:Enjoyed this one. I love it when genres collide in an understated fashion. Although, I guess radiation sickness and talking sticks aren't exactly subtle, but whatever.

Agreed, Steve Eley's performance deserves note. He *was* the stick.
I too want to embrace my inner stick. Although hopefully not kill anyone with radiation.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:54 pm

I'm still mad at the stick. Just because it's fictional doesn't mean it's forgivable. Dick move. Dick move.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Ota. Ota.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:28 pm

StalinSays wrote:I'm still mad at the stick. Just because it's fictional doesn't mean it's forgivable. Dick move. Dick move.
Indeed that stick is a dick.

BTW, nice drabble Rev.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:07 am

I have a bone to pick with the story of the dick stick. No... that doesn't sound right.

First off, that story was great. Steve *nailed* the stick character. But why toss in the added complication of getting medical help? It just confused the ending to an otherwise great story.

But Norm, I'm afraid I'm going to have to deduct a few point for the intro. First off, it sounded like an EP intro. Really. Second off- peer pressure? Is that really the theme of this story? I just don't see it.

So I just wanted to point out minor criticisms on a podcast that I get for free, to make Norm wonder "why I am doing this??"
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:14 am

I doubt you'll ever hear "urine drinking" on an Escapepod into.
Oh wait, I host over there now too don't I....
"Give us all some Jelly"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:30 am

Norm, Tom might have a point. I did think that you were using your EscapePod voice at times there ;)
Phenopath's Story Archive

MacArthurBug

Post by MacArthurBug » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:35 pm

Steve definatly nailed the stick. Great story. I hopped out of lurking just to comment on the greatness of this story.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:18 pm

Well my network is all set up again out here on the cape so I'll give er a listen today. All the comments are just whetting my apetite more. Great idea having Steve on the cast. That'll make the Norm-hata's on EP forums heads spin, since they'll all be duty bound to come over and listen to their object of adulation.

Personally, I'm in the school of thought that Norm and Steve are both pretty damn cool assets to have online. It's like free beer and pretzels every week. (Don't forget to tip the bartender though, right?)

Oh ya, and Rev, grats on debuting on DC before me, ya upstart rebel drabble-punk (said with the sincerest envious admiration...)

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:06 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:I have a bone to pick with the story of the dick stick. No... that doesn't sound right.
But it made me snicker nonetheless.

When the soldier asked: "Yeah, but what's in it for you?" I knew it was a nasty stick! Down, boy. Sticks always have an ulterior motive, I have stopped asking them "Why?" years ago.

Talking about sticks, Steve Eley did an awesome job! Great to hear a guest appearance of the primary EP host. I do hope you two won't start to blend over because I love you both for who you are.
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

Talia

Post by Talia » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:12 pm

Phenopath wrote:
StalinSays wrote:I'm still mad at the stick. Just because it's fictional doesn't mean it's forgivable. Dick move. Dick move.
Indeed that stick is a dick.
It should bough its head in shame.

If sticks had heads. Or shame.
ROU Killing Time wrote:Well my network is all set up again out here on the cape so I'll give er a listen today. All the comments are just whetting my apetite more. Great idea having Steve on the cast. That'll make the Norm-hata's on EP forums heads spin, since they'll all be duty bound to come over and listen to their object of adulation.
Just to clear this up for anyone not familiar with the Escape Pod message boards, there's no inter-podcast forum rivalry going on here or anything, the EP gang is a by and large friendly lot, ROU is just being jokingly sarcastic. I think.

khadi

Post by khadi » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:34 pm

Talia wrote:I do wonder why he didnt take some time to at least lightly bury the thing. Or maybe set the damn thing on fire.
I don't know, if I found something technologically advanced enough to be considered "magical", I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to assume that I could neutralize it. Especially by kicking it, burying it, or lighting it on fire. There are so many ways that could go wrong.

I like how the soldier and the stick have totally different perceptions about how the world works. The stick knows what's going on, yo, while the soldier is stuck with far-outdated misconceptions. Makes me wonder about the society he comes from, and who's running it.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Intro Outro, tops as always, and yes, have to agree with Mr. Baker, That stick was a total dick-head, nicely rendered by Mr.Eley. (Not that it tops his performance in "How I Mounted Goldie..." imo, but honestly, that's a high water mark that Steve is gonna have following him around for some time...)

Looking over the bay on Cape Cod in my new digs as I write this. Rainy, but still a dramatic view.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:40 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Looking over the bay on Cape Cod in my new digs as I write this. Rainy, but still a dramatic view.
Aw snap, he's back!
Now you got that whole east-coast west-coast thing going on.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:26 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:Looking over the bay on Cape Cod in my new digs as I write this. Rainy, but still a dramatic view.
Aw snap, he's back!
Now you got that whole east-coast west-coast thing going on.
More than you know. I expect to live in a constant state of jet-lag for the foreseeable future as I'm gonna be travelling back every month to spend half my time with my 3 sons from my first marriage, the other half here helping my wife and daughter take care of her 96 year old grandfather, (who is determined to leave this lovely abode feet-first, and I can't blame him... view is awesome... )

Very nice digs for a career high-school art teacher. He paid 5000 dollars each for these lots which are now valued well in the 7 figure range. (Steven Tyler was using the house next door a few years back...)

A rather amazing example of Location, location, location...