Drabblecast 137 - Doubleheader V

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 137 - Doubleheader V

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:10 pm

Drabble- Yarn
by Steve Lidster

Quantum P.I.
&
The Last Outlaw
by Igor Teper

Sam Android found Gail Galaxy skipping monopoles off the inactive accretion disk of a small black hole on the outskirts of the galaxy. Every once in a while, she shot one in at too large an angle, and it was captured by the black hole and, with a blinding burst of X-rays, swallowed up.
"I was wondering when you'd get here," she narrowcast while he was still decelerating..."

Artwork by Liz Mierjewski
Music by Gringo Motel and Phil Cuneff
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Drabblecast 137- Doubleheader V: Igor Teper

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:25 pm

Forum hog? Mois? Well in that case Octdolphig has my full support.

Hearing something I've written here, where so many bona-fide authors words are spewed forth, with Norm's spooky voice and great production values, was a high point for the year.

(I know, I can stop kissing ass now, I got my drabble feature.)

I'll always be grateful to Steve Eley for going on hiatus and telling everyone to try the Drabblecast if they are really jonesing for podcastage. He should be grateful too, I guess, since I'd probably be swamping the EP forums if he hadn't caused me to switch my pod-drug of choice.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

F5iver

Post by F5iver » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Kevin Anderson wrote:

Mier_ZE_jewski

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:21 am

F5iver wrote:
Kevin Anderson wrote:

Mier_ZE_jewski
Is that you? If so, cool artwork there zombie girl, if not, cool artwork actual artist... Really gotta say that tappnig the artistic talent on the forums was a stroke of supppper-genius, Norm. It's added a whole new level of polish to the 'cast. Oh, and thx for helping me set a new record, (not that old one was hard to beat) for traffic to my blog.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:27 am

That was a good episode.

I feel the need to elaborate on that by picking nits, but I think in this case I would just look like a nit wit, so I won't.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:08 am

Well, after running the first 5 minutes of the drabblecast to everyone around me 10 or so times, I finally listened to the entire episode.

After all of the rave reviews that Mr.Teper received on the forums for Relativity Prison, I was thrilled to find out I got to sit alongside some more of his work. (Even with having to endure a life of listening to people say "Yes, Maaster" I still think going around with the name Igor would be too much fun...)

Quantum PI was a nice example of versatility after the eerie and ominous Relativity Prison. Nice range there, Mr. Teper, I'm going to be searching out more of your work. I have a soft spot in my memory banks for sub-atomic wizardry. The way the PI blinded his mark with quantum science, when his real game plan was the good old bell-curve of stastitical probability was a great twist. I'll be seeking out more of Mr.Teper's work to enjoy, and hope to see more of him on the drabblecast in the future.

Still need to give "The Last Outlaw" another listen. My little five year old angel was clamoring for attention and telling me to turn it down so she could hear "The Barbie Movie" more clearly, but I'm sure I'll enjoy that as well.

DougallStrange

Post by DougallStrange » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:28 am

Overall this episode left me luke warm, Quantum PI kind of made me feel like I was in a math class, the last outlaw seemed ok but I was still trying to shake off the nightmares of my 11th grade calculus teacher to really enjoy it. on the plus side yarn was quite enjoyable congrats ROU Killing Time
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:23 am

I thought Quantum PI was a beautiful scam. The way I interpreted it, the "PI" sits in his office all day and makes money by keeping 2/3rds of the massive amounts of money sent his way. Or, if people choose not to pay the rest when they get their items, he still gets 1/6th because he got that up front. For sitting in his office. And explaining a simple quantum physics concept in such a way that it makes it seem like he's doing something meaningful to help them.

It's not something I would personally do, but the elegance of the scam tickles me just the right way.

The ending to The Last Outlaw seemed a bit ... je ne sais quoi to me. Do the people consider it transcending when they go into a wormhole or was she committing suicide as it seemed to me until the second listen through? I loved Sam Android though. It seemed like in those last few moments he realized he was in love with her and genuinely didn't want her to go.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:34 am

DougallStrange wrote:...yarn was quite enjoyable congrats ROU Killing Time
Awww shucks, I'm blushing.

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:20 am

If you want to destroy my universe, hold this thread as I walk away!
Watch it unravel, it'll soon be nothing
floating out in space,
it's come undoooonee.

Nice drabble :D

I enjoyed both of Teper's stories, although I quickly came to loathe the protagonist in the first one when I realized he was a scamming bastard. Mmm, hardboiled morally dubious geeky detective drama. :)

I particularly enjoyed the second one. It was nice how it seemed obvious what was going on and who was the good guy and who the bad at first, and as the story progressed you realized just how weird and even disturbing this future world was. You get just enough of a sense of it to be vaguely creeped out.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:35 am

My favourite was that little drabble.
Phenopath's Story Archive

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:40 am

Phenopath wrote:My favourite was that little drabble.
Aww shucks again, Pheno. But honestly, am I really a notorious forum hog? Is it these jeans I'm wearing? Do they make me look fat?

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Gotta love a good physics story. :D

ROU, I really liked your drabble! It was perfect.

Liz - loved your artwork! I agree with ROU that getting episode art from the forums is a win.
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

martinifan

Post by martinifan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:54 am

As much as I enjoyed the stories and artwork (and I did, as always), I'm just relieved to hear Norm again....and to hear Norm's feeling better. I've become such a junkie that the horrific withdrawl spiders (and armored, weaponized squids) were crawling 24 hours after the normal Drabblecast was not caught in my podnet last week. Welcome back, norm, and thank you. Stay healthy.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:17 am

Good podcast. Solid entertainment from start to finish (for some reason, I think the best was saved for last (the twit's fic)). Outstanding production as always -- except for the gelfling flashbacks *shudder*.

I saw Quantum P.I. coming a mile away but it was still worthwhile. On a related note, I certify that everyone's lost items are NOT in my compound. Therefore, you all owe me. Pay up. :D

The Last Outlaw started me jonesing for Louis L'Amour. How about it, Norm? Feel up to a little podcast piracy? :)

I'd say good "Yarn" drabble but ROU already seems over the moon about it. :wink:

~~~~~~~~~~
Talia wrote:If you want to destroy my universe, hold this thread as I walk away!
Watch it unravel, it'll soon be nothing
floating out in space,
it's come undoooonee.
Good Weezer reference.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:55 am

Someone else caught the Weezer reference too when I first posted it, (seems so long ago now.)

It hadn't occurred to me at all, writing it, but I had to agree then and now that there may have been some subconcious effect in play. I dunno. Maybe I heard it on the radio the day before.

m_a_kelly

Post by m_a_kelly » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:39 pm

Both Stories were pretty darn good. 8)

"Quantum PI" was like Sam Spade meets Miss Cleo. A sort of futuristic flim-flam man. Imagine using science to score cash.

My favorite was "The Last Outlaw". I loved the whole idea of Sci-Fi with a Western edge. It totally worked for me. I kept expecting John Wayne to step out of a spaceship and...well...John Wayne the place. :D

"Sam Android is the toughest man this side of the event horizon, next to me." Ah, what fun that story was to listen to and think about once it was finished.

And of course, props up to Drabble King ROU Killingtime for showing us all how it's done. 8)
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, shit! She's awake!"

http://identifiedflyinglenticulars.blogspot.com/

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:39 am

m_a_kelly wrote:Both Stories were pretty darn good. 8)

"Quantum PI" was like Sam Spade meets Miss Cleo. A sort of futuristic flim-flam man. Imagine using science to score cash.

My favorite was "The Last Outlaw". I loved the whole idea of Sci-Fi with a Western edge. It totally worked for me. I kept expecting John Wayne to step out of a spaceship and...well...John Wayne the place. :D

"Sam Android is the toughest man this side of the event horizon, next to me." Ah, what fun that story was to listen to and think about once it was finished.

And of course, props up to Drabble King ROU Killingtime for showing us all how it's done. 8)
Aww, triple quadruple shucks again. No wonder I'm a forum hog, the fat is all going to my head now. But honestly with all the new and strong talent posting, and with me being such a slacker of late, I fear I must soon abdicate that crown. Rev, Eric, Abhilton (go go homie-town grrrl), gosh so many others are all putting such fine stuff on the forum. Makin Norm's job easy for him. He's got a treasure trove there. Finally gave a real good listen to "The Last Outlaw" No twist, but not necessary. Painted a cool picture of a the transition to post-humanity with fun characters and great OTT language. Stand by my earlier statement that it was an honor to appear in the same episode as your work, Mr.Teper, and an honor to make the drabblecast, Norm.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:52 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Abhilton (go go homie-town grrrl), gosh so many others are all putting such fine stuff on the forum.
Yes, she's getting good enough she should consider her own podcast! Or even a book!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:12 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:Abhilton (go go homie-town grrrl), gosh so many others are all putting such fine stuff on the forum.
Yes, she's getting good enough she should consider her own podcast! Or even a book!
I think she has her own podcast, if memory serves. Should be in here signature.. Learn2Self-Promote, Grrrrl. Life isn't all about poking around inside peoples innards...