Drabblecast 056 - 33 Seconds

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
tbaker2500
Site Admin

Drabblecast 056 - 33 Seconds

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:14 am

Story later-

Wow Norm, you amaze me. Pulling that song together in under a week?

Best line - Build another Burger King, Have it Your Way
Too funny! Awesome song.

I really like the Bardle. I'm really looking forward to some other people to step up and get some songs of their own!

It just keeps coming back to me how much the internet has changed things. In the past, weirdness went largely unappreciated.

33 Seconds:
Nice story, if straightforward. His "massive frame at 6'4" 200lb" made me worry about my future being 6'5" 245lb.

Um, so how did a air mask stop him from being reduced to bones, also? A lot more than a lack of oxygen going on there. :-)

Tom
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

laura

Post by laura » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:54 pm

I loved the Bardle as well, it's a great, hilarious addition to the show.

I felt like the story ended somewhat abruptly...I expected the first guy's death to be some sort of precursor to Johnny's downfall, or to start some sort of revolution...I don't know. Perhaps I'm just trying to force my own ideas onto the story.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:17 pm

Massive frame... if everyone's been oxygen-deprived, normal is probably dwarfish.
Not to mention that they work near the earth's core, without air conditioning, so there's definitely something going on besides the oxygen mask. The author seems to have taken something of a minimalist approach here, where all such details are to be supplied by the imagination of the reader.
Personally, I'd rather the author do a little of the work. I enjoyed Jell's driving a car underwater under the influence of drugs. I dunno, somehow that was better than an elevator ride from the earth's core. Maybe the graphics were better?

jodymonster

Post by jodymonster » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:03 pm

I feel kind of 'meh' about the story. Of course, I was listening to it on my way to work at 5:30 AM in a blizzard, so I admit I was in a bad mood... But Norm, that song snapped me right out of it. I was giggling so much when I walked in the door all my coworkers thought I was crazy. You made me laugh at 6 AM, and that is not an easy thing to do. So thank you. I'm going to start saving my money now, and making a list of things I'd like to hear you sing about...

Krista

Post by Krista » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:57 am

I felt like I knew how this story was going to end pretty early on.. I guess there were just some parts that didn't need to be explained into so much detail, like what the punishment was exactly. I think with this type of story you really don't need to give too much realistic detail because (like the other people said) there can be some inconsistencies. I enjoyed the parts where he's describing the experience of where he's living (like the smell of the earth and what that reminded him of) and revealing his own questioning of his reality (the bit about him not really knowing who built those machines) rather than the numbers and facts. I think with a little editing this story can be much more engaging.

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Dammit. I came for the story, but stayed for the song.

I'm a little conflicted now. I have this 8 MB mp3 sitting on my hard drive. I didn't enjoy the story that much, for reasons that others have already shared. So normally I would delete the thing. But the bbardle (there, I spelled 'drabble' correctly) was just superb. So what do I do? Is there a rule for this situation?

You know, it wasn't that long ago I would have considered sitting in my car listening to bluegrass with the windows open and neighbours around quite embarrassing. I'm beginning to look forward to it now.

Norm, are there any styles of music you're not up for?

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:11 pm

I used Sony's Soundforge software to convert the MP3's to WAV so I could play on my CD player. On Jelly Park, I was able to delete the words "you bitch" from the phone message so I could give it to a friend I thought might be offended. Anyway, cammo, that would work to pare drabble from bardle.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:59 pm

There's an mp3 of the tune in the "Drabblecast warehouse" link off the main page if you just wanna download the tune.

Hmm...I'm up for any style of music, as long as the song can be about animals with substance abuse problems or what have you...
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:12 pm

strawman wrote:Massive frame... if everyone's been oxygen-deprived, normal is probably dwarfish.
The year was 2024. That's pretty quick for the generations needed to evolve into human-gnomes.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

New CD?

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:18 pm

First off- Congratulations Norm for pronouncing "Steradian" correctly! Not many people can do that. Next business I start will be called "Tom Industries" or somesuch. While it seemed awfully clever at the time to name the company based upon a unit of measure used in optics...

But on to the main note. When are you coming out with your next CD? You're starting to get a collection of new songs made for Drabblecast. Almost halfway there!

Tom

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:26 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:
strawman wrote:Massive frame... if everyone's been oxygen-deprived, normal is probably dwarfish.
The year was 2024. That's pretty quick for the generations needed to evolve into human-gnomes.
True, unless the story takes place in in in... Japan!

Oughta buy a one-way ticket to the land of the rising sun. There you can make it big... in more ways than one.

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Massive Frame

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:20 am

Hey, I'm 6 foot 3, and 234 pounds, and if anyone described me as having a Massive Frame, I'd probably slug them.

But I guess that is what a guy with a massive frame might do.

Damn.

Nice tune, Norm

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:06 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
Not really. Remember, evolution works by simply leaving behind anything that doesn't leave the gene pool after a change in the environment. If tall people aren't able to procreate --- either because they're dead, sterile or separated from or unattractive to the opposite sex --- it will only take a generation or two for shortness (by today's standards) to be the norm.

This seems to be the case here. Johnny has somehow managed to survive whatever it is favouring tall people, but for his genes to survive he'll have to find a woman to, um, pass them on to. I didn't notice any women in the story. If any came along, would they find him desirable? Would they want tall freaks for children? Or would they be too difficult to support?

Short people, on the other hand, seem to have some sort of advantage here. And that's a good thing. I'm only 5'3, and I'm quite happy to apply selective pressure in favour of my diminutive friends.

I'm not sure how my wife would feel if I started spreading my genes any more widely though.

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:14 am

normsherman wrote: Hmm...I'm up for any style of music, as long as the song can be about animals with substance abuse problems or what have you...
Okay. I play in (British style) brass bands, and I've had a bit of work gigging with an old time dance band (and I only write that knowing I'm hidden behind a not-too-anonymous pseudonym! I have dignity, you know.)

I've got a gig this weekend. My fee will buy half a song or so... How's your euphonium playing, Norm?

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:05 am

I thought this week's story was pretty weak. It was very predictable and didn't do much to create a compelling setting or characters. In the future, there will be privation and evil mega-corporations will take advantage. The end. Generic.

More than its non-uniqueness, though, was what I perceive to be the implausibility of the setting. Maybe I need to go back and listen again, but... This is set in an oxygen mine? And the surface of the earth is so toxic that exposure instantly kills anything? And this is supposed to be set only 16 years from now? Doesn't work. For one, you wouldn't go to the trouble to extract oxygen from rocks unless there was neither water nor gas with a decent percentage of oxygen available. An oxygen mine would be a last, last resort. As for the earth being that toxic: I don't think that's even possible. Full-on unfiltered solar radiation wouldn't kill you in 33 seconds, or even in 24 hours. Radiation kills you slow. If the atmosphere is supposed to be acidic or toxic, well, how would you even do that? Making all the millions of cubic miles of the earth's air into corrosive smog would be a massive engineering project, something we'd have to spend centuries intentionally working toward.

More stuff too. The setting just didn't work. It would have made a lot more sense if the story were set on Venus or the Moon.

The bbardle, now, that was cool. I listened and laughed, then I listened again and laughed again. Even my cynical spouse laughed. The music was fun and catchy and the lyrics were as clever as anything Five Iron Frenzy ever came up with. Bravo!

The idea is pretty interesting too. Songs for donations? At first blush is seems like lowering art and selling out, and then you stop and think and realize that a goodly chunk of the world's great art was made on commission. Sistine chapel anyone? You're not "whoring yourself out" Norm, your acquiring patrons, just like all the great artists have done!
Advertise in this space!

damiengwalter

Post by damiengwalter » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:07 pm

OK, I quite liked this story. Oddly, for many of the reasons others didn't. The implausible science said to me that the story wasn't about the science, and the perhaps cliched setting meant it wasn't really about the setting either. I thought this was really about trying to get into the head of the 'big guy'. Think of it this way...I'm about average height and build, but every so often I see one of those guys who is pushing 7 ft tall and built like a wrestler and I think 'Hey, what's it like to be wandering around in that tank of a body?'. I think this story is trying to answer that question, and it did it quite well.

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:32 pm

If you're right, he should have had a truly massive frame. It would have been a great premise. In an oxygen-starved world with almost no resources, a massive frame would be like a Hummer; disgusting to look at, conspicuously wasteful, immediately inspiring resentment. There might even be laws limiting people's fuel efficiency, banning transfats... o wait a minute, we already do that! How about a breathing governor. Call it Blue Planet, since everyone is oxygen-deprived. :roll:
[Hummer, OR, a Ford F150, since that's the banner that just came up]

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:33 pm

damiengwalter wrote: Think of it this way...I'm about average height and build, but every so often I see one of those guys who is pushing 7 ft tall and built like a wrestler and I think 'Hey, what's it like to be wandering around in that tank of a body?'.
At only 6'5"...
You spend most of your time ducking under doorways and other structures.
You spend your life with your head cocked to one side.

Tom

wakela

Post by wakela » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:11 am

I wasn't too impressed with the story. This happened, then this happened then this happened, the end. There wasn't any conflict.

I think it's pretty interesting that ,while the author seems more interested in sparking a discussion of environmental disaster, the forum seems more interested in the main character's size.

How old was he? He remembers being a child on the surface, so it's possible that he grew up with a healthy diet, while the worker drones did not. This could make him comparatively massive.

Fantastic song.

Why is it that anyone can get paid for the use of their talents, but only artists get accused of whoring themselves out?

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:42 am

wakela wrote:Why is it that anyone can get paid for the use of their talents, but only artists get accused of whoring themselves out?
Well, um, whores get accused of that too. Of course, if you consider sex an act of art your point still stands.