Drabblecast 057 - The Tiger Fortune

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:33 pm

normsherman wrote: I actually never said it was a retelling or an adaptation of a fairytale- just that it was a fairytale set in ancient China. For all I know, it was original in everything but style, which was purposely set to be like a Chinese folktale.
And I suppose this might be at the root of my problem. I feel like the folktale/fairytale "style" has some pretty severe limitations -- moral absoluteness, two-dimensionality of character, arbitrary advancement of plot -- that are earned by (and, to some extent, through the process of retelling, an artifact of) their very age; I guess I don't know that a contemporary fairytale/folktale stands up to my expectations for "good" writing.
...the pagoda-like enclosure, where Japanese sand-badgers disported themselves...

Drabbling Daily

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:35 am

vburn wrote:
As much as Drabblecast keeps you guessing, I will still bet 5 bucks that the next story has some kind of anal/poo reference. I mean you got to play the odds.
For the record, this week's story was chosen before you posted this.
"Give us all some Jelly"

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:36 am

normsherman wrote:
vburn wrote:
As much as Drabblecast keeps you guessing, I will still bet 5 bucks that the next story has some kind of anal/poo reference. I mean you got to play the odds.
Ooh, I smell a poo story coming!

*note to self -- must think things through before saying them*
...the pagoda-like enclosure, where Japanese sand-badgers disported themselves...

Drabbling Daily

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:10 am

bolddeceiver wrote:
normsherman wrote:
vburn wrote:
Ooh, I smell a poo story coming!
Wow! Norm got an A.A. Milne story!?!

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:18 am

Sure! It's got Talking Pigs, a Donkey held together with Nails and Giant (Possibly Carnivorous) Woozles. What could be more Drabbley? It puts me in a state of Great Excitement.
Advertise in this space!

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:32 am

Ooh, cat poo!

Drabbling Daily

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:20 pm

bolddeceiver wrote:
Mr. Tweedy wrote: In my opinion, it belongs simply because we so rarely see this sort of story in contemporary culture.
Maybe I live in a somewhat different cultural world, being in education in the Pacific Northwest, because adaptations and retellings of Asian folklore are ubiquitous to the point of "sigh not another"....
I would have rather listened to Asian folklore than the constant drone of bible stories shoved down my throat during 7 years of parochial hell growing up. Ugh!

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:40 pm

Goldenrat wrote: I would have rather listened to Asian folklore than the constant drone of bible stories shoved down my throat during 7 years of parochial hell growing up. Ugh!
Fair point. I'm having a lot of fun now rereading biblical stories and letting them speak for themselves, rather than reading them and hearing the sermon I heard when I was 16.

I think I've mentioned before that I like retelling biblical stories in different contexts. It helps me to get into the characters (who are generally far less savoury than we expect) and see what the hell (or not) is actually going on in there.

We often completely miss what is happening in the stories. Abraham is held up as a great example of faithfulness, yet try to find one example of his doing as God told him. There are one or two, but generally speaking Abraham is more concerned with self preservation than pleasing God.

Hmm, sounds like a lot of Christians I know!

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:59 pm

Abraham is more concerned with self preservation than pleasing God.

Christians? How about 'Human Beings' ? The problem being that it seems a very human trait to talk about God rather than pleasing him. Or to prefer criticising others for their nonconformity to an Ideal, to actually conforming my own behavior to it.

Hypocrisy is a fascinating study in judgement. Always one finger pointing one way, 3 back, and the opportunity to know yourself if you follow where it leads.

AmberMac

So pretty!

Post by AmberMac » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:31 am

So.. un drabble-esque. Up to this point most of the drabbles I'd listned to were great. GROSS but great. This was simply sweet and pretty and so well done! This is something I'd have expected to stumble across on podcastle or escape pod classic.. or..like.. in a real book of stories.

It's great to have something so sweet here! Tho..
I like the ick. More ick is good too.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:35 am

cammoblammo wrote:I'm having a lot of fun now rereading biblical stories and letting them speak for themselves, rather than reading them and hearing the sermon I heard when I was 16.

I think I've mentioned before that I like retelling biblical stories in different contexts. It helps me to get into the characters (who are generally far less savoury than we expect) and see what the hell (or not) is actually going on in there.

We often completely miss what is happening in the stories. Abraham is held up as a great example of faithfulness, yet try to find one example of his doing as God told him. There are one or two, but generally speaking Abraham is more concerned with self preservation than pleasing God.

Yup.

It always baffles me when some people try to discredit what they think of as "religion" by pointing out that many Biblical characters are total jerks. Um, yeah, they are. Man, read Genesis: Quentin Tarantino couldn't make up shadier characters. Not everyone in there is a role model, and even the people who are supposed to be role models are only considered so for certain of their acts, not for every moment of their (flawed) lives. There's really only one Guy in the whole thing who is unequivocally portrayed as good, which, if you understand the Gospel, is a point unto itself.

Blammo, have you actually written any of these Biblical retellings? If so, I'm curious. Sounds like an interesting idea (and one that might result in some Drabble-worthy stories?).
Advertise in this space!

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:38 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:
Blammo, have you actually written any of these Biblical retellings? If so, I'm curious. Sounds like an interesting idea (and one that might result in some Drabble-worthy stories?).
I've told biblical stories many times, but I have only written one that could in any sense be called finished. It's a retelling of the story of the shepherds at Christmas, but involving stockmen in outback Australia. If you want to see it feel free to pm me. (Please bear in mind that I said it was finished, not good!)

That comes to about 4000 words, and isn't the most suited for these here parts. If I do anything drabbleworthy, though, I'll submit it.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:54 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:
I was thinking the same thing
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:56 am

Your (wise and benevolent) moderator has moved the posts about podcast intros to "Podcasts and Suchforth", as it had evolved into its own topic.

sandrilde

Re: Drabblecast 057 - The Tiger Fortune

Post by sandrilde » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:49 pm

I have to agree with those who felt this story was far too cookie cutter. The modern trend seems to be to do fractured fairy tales - and those can be fun - but the main idea is we do something different with the fairy tale. This one seemed far too black and white - where's the thing that makes me feel like I'm reading something different? Even Disney hasn't told stories this cookie cutter for many many years.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:11 pm

sandrilde wrote:I have to agree with those who felt this story was far too cookie cutter. The modern trend seems to be to do fractured fairy tales - and those can be fun - but the main idea is we do something different with the fairy tale. This one seemed far too black and white - where's the thing that makes me feel like I'm reading something different? Even Disney hasn't told stories this cookie cutter for many many years.
But don't you see? Running a cookie cutter story is exactly what is strange and weird and different! Not even Disney would do this!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

sandrilde

Post by sandrilde » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Good try but no :p