Straighter

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Post Reply
User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Straighter

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:50 am

The straighteners worked without end.

On the sub-atomic plane they would flatten probabilities to a linear distribution.

They moved on to the realms of geometry.

Triangle was ripped wide and bent to one hundred and eighty degrees.

Circle was pierced, torn, and drawn taut.

Mighty Hexagon was crushed.

They came to the macro universe and found more curves than they ever imagined could exist.

They were appalled, but delighted at the work ahead of them.

To honor his work in fractals, they chose Mandelbrot to start their task of straightening our world.

They straightened his muscles.

They straightened his bones.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
Phenopath
Member
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Straighter

Post by Phenopath » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:21 am

This one was a bit too subtle for me... I had to wikipedia the pay-off.

Although I was pleasingly reminded of the Doozers.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3516
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Straighter

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:10 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:The straighteners worked without end.

On the sub-atomic plane they would flatten probabilities to a linear distribution.
They would have to stop right there. If they could "flatten probabilities", that alone would destroy the known universe! Atomic matter would be impossible (or at least have a very short half-life). Depending on which theory you used, even subatomic matter and gravity would be completely alien to us. Light would probably be unchanged (at least below gamma energies).

Mandelbrot could not be straightened. He would have been poisoned to death by radiation from his own body -- in the nanoseconds before it disintegrated.

User avatar
eric_marsh
Member
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: La Drova, Valencia, Spain
Contact:

Re: Straighter

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:39 pm

I like the references to science and fractals.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Straighter

Post by strawman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:53 pm

It all works out, ASID. They got hired to fill some openings at the University of East Anglia
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
TheJebi
Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Straighter

Post by TheJebi » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:53 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
They moved on to the realms of geometry.

Triangle was ripped wide and bent to one hundred and eighty degrees.

Circle was pierced, torn, and drawn taut.

Mighty Hexagon was crushed.

They came to the macro universe and found more curves than they ever imagined could exist.

They were appalled, but delighted at the work ahead of them.
I really like this section allot. It connects with me on a some higher level then most of the stuff that I read.
“I’m not TheJebi because I like the hum of a lightsaber in my hand… and I’m not TheJebi because I like being TheJebi. I’m TheJebi because the Galaxy needs me to be TheJebi.”

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Straighter

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:37 pm

Well, I'll deflect Algernon's dragging silly things like "logic" into this by pleading a genre of fantasy/horror.

Phenopath may be correct that the payoff is aimed at too small an audience. Perhaps changing it to "Mandelbrot" instead of "Benoit" would clear it up for a wider number of readers.

Thx Jebi. I was going for a "monster from the abstract" feel here.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3516
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Straighter

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:55 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:Well, I'll deflect Algernon's dragging silly things like "logic" into this by pleading a genre of fantasy/horror.
Sorry, but that genre is reserved for politics, the IPCC, and the Oprah Winfrey show. :)

juliasd
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Straighter

Post by juliasd » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:21 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:They straightened his muscles.

They straightened his bones.
That section is perfect for the horror genre. Reminds me of Stephen King's "Thinner".

User avatar
themorg
Member
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 am
Location: Portland OR

Re: Straighter

Post by themorg » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:48 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Well, I'll deflect Algernon's dragging silly things like "logic" into this by pleading a genre of fantasy/horror.
I don't believe you have to preface it is Fantasy/Horror because you already did.
ROU Killing Time wrote:They moved on to the realms of geometry.
It would be similar for me to say i was the ruler of the realms of cheese where the Blue cheese Elves live and sang Bree songs. I also thing Alegrnon's right about logic...in general.

Maybe dedicate this to the Hadron Collider (that is almost up and working) and your realms of geometry may be proven.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

User avatar
normsherman
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am

Re: Straighter

Post by normsherman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:32 am

Agree this was a kickass drabble, but the payoff comes to those who get it.
The first part of this story could be a great murder mystery simply about "angle-murder." geometry suspense--- now that's a genre that will sell.
fun nucleii here
"Give us all some Jelly"

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3612
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Straighter

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Benoit was a presenter at this years Ig Nobel awards. Very fun.
Rou- fun stuff.
ASID- You're being too pedantic.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Straighter

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:54 pm

normsherman wrote:Agree this was a kickass drabble, but the payoff comes to those who get it.
The first part of this story could be a great murder mystery simply about "angle-murder." geometry suspense--- now that's a genre that will sell.
fun nucleii here
Norm, good to see you down in the drabble-dungeon. Have a cookie

Personally, I kind of liked the simple language surrounding the geometric atrocities that occurred.

I was also thinking there might be a short in there. My first thought wasn't "murder mystery" as much as a potential for a frontier lawman in a geometric wild west, huntin down a madobject that's intent on tryin to 'straighten-up' all of them good folkshapes of Geome Vale..

(western gives a great opportunity for a horrid "stringem-up" pun at the end of the story too...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
mrgoldenbrown
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Straighter

Post by mrgoldenbrown » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:12 am

I like the fractal punchline. Nice one.

Post Reply