Destroy Portland

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Phenopath

Destroy Portland

Post by Phenopath » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:43 am

In honour of the numerous forum members who hail for Portland Oregon I have created a giant robot to destroy your city. Please note that I have in no way been distracted by my ignorance of the subject matter...

----

Steveo (stoner and hair metal enthusiast) was chilling out on the roof of the bakery where he "worked" when he was woken by an explosion.

"What the hell?" he yelled, leaping to his feet to see that downtown Portland was ablaze.

Two blocks away a metal giant (looking like Truckasaurus gone bad) was kicking the shit out of the Portland Art Museum, whilst incidentally stomping fleeing tourists.

"Leave it out, asshole!" Steveo screamed defiantly.

The robot slowly turned its dumpster sized head, before lumbering towards Ernie's 24 Hour Bagel Emporium upon which our hero stood.

What would Van Halen do?
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Destroy Portland

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:10 am

I see you've been to Portland. :)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

TheJebi

Post by TheJebi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:55 am

I've only been to Portland once, so I guess that makes me one of the stomped tourists. :cry:

Highly enjoyable read, of a kind that I would like to see more of around here, and I don't mean giant robots, I mean strait forward story and good characterization... and giant robots :)
“I’m not TheJebi because I like the hum of a lightsaber in my hand… and I’m not TheJebi because I like being TheJebi. I’m TheJebi because the Galaxy needs me to be TheJebi.”

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:23 am

Very worthy goal! :D

If the robot just tells the hippies that it's made of recycled materials and runs on biodiesel, they would no-doubt help it.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:29 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:I see you've been to Portland. :)
Nor have I been to Baltimore...

CCC Relentless

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Pheno, you're the reason Texas won't allow concealed weapons in an establishment whose income is more than 50% alcohol sales.
If you destroy Portland, you will have wiped out a third of the forum, as well as a majority of the strangeness therein. Plus, you will have given Texas justification for its irrational concealed weapons laws (Do you realize that a drunk in Texas has a 30% higher chance of being a victim of a violent crime?)

Okay, I made that up, and it's not true. I just received an email from the Texas NRA that explains that law: Tests confirmed that the majority of Texans could not find a concealed weapon when intoxicated. So the law merely means you have to carry the weapon around in your hand when drunk.

Never mind. All is well.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

juliasd

Post by juliasd » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:51 pm

I'm currently one of those tourests, so if the monster could avoid my friend's apartment and Powells, I'd appreciate it.

themorg

Post by themorg » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:36 pm

While only 2 blocks away from the art museum i am sure i would not hear it over the protesters at Ungar Fur. There is now a civil noise abatement against them but they seem to have good lawyers. In the mean time i can take a nap in the afternoon. nice Drabble.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:15 pm

Well I must say that this is quite a good drabble and I'm also pleased that Sandman has taken the time to understand Texas law. I bet there's a drabble somewhere in there too.

I was born and raised in Seattle and lived for a while in Eugene, a bit further down I-5 from Portland. I really liked Eugene - it didn't rain as much as Seattle. Makes me wonder if there's a correlation between spending one's younger years in wet climates and drabbling. I've heard that it's rainy in England too. The only time I was there I was passing through Heathrow. The skies were gray, somewhat similar to a summer day in the Pacific Northwest.

Now I own a ranch in central Texas. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... -97.626047 Texas had blue skies every day. In fact we recently had blue skies and no rain for about a year and a half which turned my lake into a pond with fish flopping out on the shore to escape the water. Hopefully that drought didn't adversely affect my ability to drabble.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:13 pm

eric_marsh wrote: Now I own a ranch in central Texas. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... -97.626047
Nice lake.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:14 pm

strawman wrote:Pheno, you're the reason Texas won't allow concealed weapons in an establishment whose income is more than 50% alcohol sales.
Good point, I now want to destroy again.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:28 pm

Phenopath wrote: Nice lake.
Thanks - I wanted a place where I could work on my cars and bikes and Janet wanted a place to put her fishies. I think she got more than she anticipated.

http://homepage.mac.com/emarsh/.Pictures/fishies.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:40 pm

eric_marsh wrote:I think she got more than she anticipated.
http://homepage.mac.com/emarsh/.Pictures/fishies.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
CARP ALERT!!!!

Spoiler:

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:50 pm

Yes, but they are mutant carp, born with the capability to bend men's (and women's) minds.

Why else would anybody pay $50k or even $100k for a carp and even cook custom meals for them?

If this isn't drabble material I don't know what is.....

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:44 pm

eric_marsh wrote: Why else would anybody pay $50k or even $100k for a carp and even cook custom meals for them?
There's an answer to your question, but it isn't pretty...

Spoiler:

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:37 am

I've never been to Portland and my knowledge of Van Halen is restricted to the fact that they will soon have their own Guitar Hero game. Yet, I love this drabble. It's just right. (Unlike what that man seems to be doing with that fish, which is just wrong.)
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:47 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:I've never been to Portland and my knowledge of Van Halen is restricted to the fact that they will soon have their own Guitar Hero game. Yet, I love this drabble. It's just right. (Unlike what that man seems to be doing with that fish, which is just wrong.)
I've lived near Portland my whole life, and I can confirm, there is a certain perfection to this drabble, Tweedy.

Also, agree whole-heartedly re: man with fish. If that makes me "intolerant" well, so be it.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:02 pm

Aw heck Tweedy, now I want to cry.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:37 am

Oh, one thing. "Leave it out, asshole" makes the protagonistic sound like a british foreign exchange student, not a stoner, hair-band loving, tree-hugging, Portlander.

"Go screw yourself, asshole" might have a more authentic reginal feel to it. Or something equally more american.

themorg

Post by themorg » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:53 am

eric_marsh wrote:If this isn't drabble material I don't know what is.....
sadly it is the only thing on my mind anymore that and spawning upstream.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false