That Time of Year

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
PureChance

That Time of Year

Post by PureChance » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:04 am

The sun blazed, white, metallic, in the barren sky. He sat at the edge of the compound, his shotgun draped across his thighs, one hand resting lightly on the stock. Every ten minutes he turned, and spat - a great, glistening, tobacco-stained gobbet of spittle. His eyes were fixed on the horde. He started at them in the distance: their shuffling feet; their glazed eyes; their mouths hanging, slightly open. The brave (or foolish) souls, who, every summer, went out there to herd them away from the settlements, staying just beyond their reach. He turned again, spat, and muttered. "Damn Tourists!"

--------------------

Finally worked up the courage to begin posting :) Oh, and this is all right for any/everything, especially hefty doses of criticism please :)
"Everything tricks, and everything cheats, and everything, everything, everything eats."

Drabblecast 146- Teddy Bears and Tea Parties by S. Boyd Taylor

Phenopath

Re: That Time of Year

Post by Phenopath » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:51 pm

I like it, nothing raises one's ire than coach loads of vacuous American tourists clogging the pavements talking their jibber-jabber. Although I imagine that come August in Edinburgh it is a case of "Damn Actors". Isn't a plague of actors the 77th sign of the apocalypse?

I think the start of the final two sentences need a tweak for fluency.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:23 pm

What an interesting twist! Those aren't zombies; they're tourists. They still eat your brains, but only a few cells at a time. Anorexic zombies.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:45 am

Here's a difference?
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"