Butterfly

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
munsi

Butterfly

Post by munsi » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:01 pm

The butterfly drew back it’s wings and flapped them. And on the other side of the world…

Nothing.

No volcanoes roaring to life, no tsunamis born. The ground didn’t quake, nor did the sky rend itself asunder.

There were disasters, to be sure. A hurricane raged in the Gulf of Mexico, but it was hurricane season, and it’d been raging for weeks. The sum effect of the butterfly’s wings was, globally speaking, nothing.

Nothing but propelling a butterfly through the air, to exactly where my eyes happened to catch it.

Making me smile.

Sometimes beauty’s nothing more than it seems.

eric_marsh

Re: Butterfly

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:41 pm

:)
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:28 pm

I think I'd have preferred a bit more focus on the idea that chaos can mean things dwindle or get sidetracked as much or moreso than leading to enormous changes; the butterfly effect has never really been about the power of beauty, and it feels a little odd to try and build a story on a misreading of the original thought exercise.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Scattercat wrote: it feels a little odd to try and build a story on a misreading of the original thought exercise.
You mean to say that thought exercises can have only one point? I think what Munsi's doing is legitimate, not a misreading. He takes advantage of the standard reading of a thought exercise, and thinks about a secondary aspect of it. It's a bit like a story twist of another kind, or a 'reveal'.

And the more the thought exercise has only one point, the funnier it is.
Scattercat wrote:it feels a little odd
Say...If the Drabblecast is a thought experiment, then that would be the point. :)
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Well, it would be a bit like if someone wrote a story about animal abuse based on Schrodinger's Cat. You can do it, but it doesn't have a lot to do with the original premise. I generally feel that if you're going to co-opt something, then the product should resonate with the original on some level, either in sympathy or against. Otherwise, why bother co-opting?

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:29 pm

You don't think an animal abuse story about Schrodinger's cat would fit right in here?

Spoiler:

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:41 am

I'm just discussing my personal reaction to this story. The chaos-theory butterfly effect was about the large impact small changes can have further down the decision/reaction tree in complex systems. It wasn't about beauty at all. I don't mind stories about beauty, and I don't mind stories about chaos theory, but using the one for another feels like bringing a garden rake to the dinner table.

Turtle420

Post by Turtle420 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:12 am

I liked the positive message of this story. I think it worked, despite the fact the story didn't follow the same line of thinking as the original Butterfly Effect thought experiment. As writers, it's our duty to twist things around and look at them from different vantage points. Artistic Liscence is a powerfull tool if it is used in the right way, and in this instance I think it is.
This is my signature.
This is a link to my blog: http://iqtruth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:55 am

Scattercat wrote:I'm just discussing my personal reaction to this story. The chaos-theory butterfly effect was about the large impact small changes can have further down the decision/reaction tree in complex systems. It wasn't about beauty at all. I don't mind stories about beauty, and I don't mind stories about chaos theory, but using the one for another feels like bringing a garden rake to the dinner table.
I think a story about garden rakes at dinner tables has possibilities too... ;-)

For that matter, I always wondered what Shrodinger has against cats too? (I don't know the alt-key sequence for the umlaut over the "o."
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:12 am

I read this as dealing with the other side of the Butterfly Effect. While chaos theory indicates that in some cases a small input can produce a significant change in the greater result, more often it's effects are canceled out by other or lager inputs.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:13 am

eric_marsh wrote:I read this as dealing with the other side of the Butterfly Effect. While chaos theory indicates that in some cases a small input can produce a significant change in the greater result, more often it's effects are canceled out by other or lager inputs.
See, that's what I'm saying; I'd rather have seen a line about that than about the nature of beauty as the end-beat.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:19 am

eric_marsh wrote:I read this as dealing with the other side of the Butterfly Effect. While chaos theory indicates that in some cases a small input can produce a significant change in the greater result, more often it's effects are canceled out by other or lager inputs.
Lager inputs? How did this become about beer?

Now I'm thirsty... Damn you, Eric...

Seriously though, I really love the lateral shift. Looking at the beauty of the butterfly as the end-line. Making it all math would seem dry to me. I <3 Munsi's romantic side... Keeps him away from his plans for vorld domination...
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

munsi

Post by munsi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:52 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
Lager inputs? How did this become about beer?

Now I'm thirsty... Damn you, Eric...

Seriously though, I really love the lateral shift. Looking at the beauty of the butterfly as the end-line. Making it all math would seem dry to me. I <3 Munsi's romantic side... Keeps him away from his plans for vorld domination...
...i absolutely still plan to dominate the world. it's just you gotta stop to enjoy simple things on the way there :)

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Munsi, you are part of the chain of effects of ze flutterlinge

Spoiler:

Jmsbrtms

Post by Jmsbrtms » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Your butterfly seems to have created a storm after all.