A Sad End

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Mikes

A Sad End

Post by Mikes » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:05 am

It was 18 months since their fears were confirmed; earth had been destroyed. Their families, their home -gone.

It hadn’t taken long to choose suicide over a long, drawn out death. But with only eight bullets and nine crew, John drew the short straw. Now he sat alone, cramped with the corpses of his friends, unable to die and simply drifted through space.

“Is this the way humanity will die?” he said to the ship’s silent computer. “Destined to go mad, speaking to the last machine we ever made?”

“Listen, I wouldn’t worry about that part,” said his coffee cup.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

Razorspoon

Re: A Sad End

Post by Razorspoon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:15 am

Wonderful, a touch of apocalyptic doom with an ending that made me smile.

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:58 pm

*smiling*
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

flyawaybefree

Post by flyawaybefree » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:14 pm

I want a talking coffee cup! Especially one that is the last human-made technology...
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Then today's your lucky day! I have the last coffee cup ever made, for for just $13.05 +p&p. If you believe that, then it probably will talk to you ;)

thanks for the feedback guys, glad you like it.

Edit: actually, does anyone know how Norm and the guys choose the Drabbles for the show? Is it through the submissions email on the main site like a feature story, or do they just choose one from the forums?

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:33 am

Sometimes they choose from the forums, but if you really want to make sure their eyes are on you, submitting 'em to the e-mail ensures visibility of one kind or another.

I sent in a half-dozen last year, got told they were good but didn't have enough closure, sent in another half-dozen, got that e-mail lost in the inbox for a while, then they remembered it and snagged the second Wisest Stone story. After that, I started posting on the forums. The four other drabbles of mine they've run since then have all just been posted on here (and sometimes to no great popular acclaim, I freely admit.)

They definitely read the forums and pull drabbles out of here, is, I suppose, the point I'm making. (Did I have a point?)

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:35 am

Um.... I think so ;)

Thanks, Scatter. I'll just leave this one here, then. No sense in cluttering emails for what's just basically a piece of fun.

munsi

Post by munsi » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:08 am

i liked this a lot, it was a fun little subversion at the end. and, as the rest of the board will attest, i likes me a tone-subverting final line