Poked to death

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
jay4

Poked to death

Post by jay4 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:09 pm

Machine of Death! What a hoax. This idiotic box steals your $20, stabs you with a pin and supposedly reads your future. Hah! It can't predict your future any better than a two-bit carnival scale. I tell you it's a fraud and I'm going to disprove it. I've managed to secure a large grant to help me and I'm well along the way. All it'll take is one time, one piece of paper that's different than the previous predictions, and I'll have my proof. So far all I've gotten out of it is "poked to death" but I'm still trying.

Mr. Tweedy

Re: Poked to death

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:41 am

I like it. The narrator's obliviousness is just plausible enough to be disturbing rather than merely silly. Good idea.

Needs a rewrite, though, or at least reformatting. Paragraphs! It's also a bit unclear what the machine is. "Machine of Death" sounds like a machine that causes death. This machine predicts how you will die. (Yes, it kills the narrator, but that's not what it's for.)

Polish this gem to make it shine.
Advertise in this space!

ventricle

Post by ventricle » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:25 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:I like it. The narrator's obliviousness is just plausible enough to be disturbing rather than merely silly. Good idea.

Needs a rewrite, though, or at least reformatting. Paragraphs! It's also a bit unclear what the machine is. "Machine of Death" sounds like a machine that causes death. This machine predicts how you will die. (Yes, it kills the narrator, but that's not what it's for.)

Polish this gem to make it shine.
strait up! also, shades of kafka. v nice.

Rish Outfield

Post by Rish Outfield » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 am

Poked . . . to death.

That's how I wanna go.

jay4

Post by jay4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:13 am

Thanks, Mr Tweedy.

I'll set to work on it and see what comes out. This is just the draft that came to mind while commuting to work.

Be back soon.
J4

jay4

Post by jay4 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:13 am

<note: a minor rewrite injecting some feedback from Mr. Tweedy. Hope this helps>

Machine of Death! What a hoax. This idiotic box steals your $20, stabs you with a pin and supposedly predicts how you’re going to die. Hah! It can't predict your future any better than a two-bit carnival scale. It's a fraud and I'm going to disprove it.

I've managed to secure a large grant to help me and I'm well along the way. All it'll take is one time, one piece of paper that's different than the previous predictions, and I’LL HAVE MY PROOF!

So far all I've gotten out of it is "poked to death" but I'm still trying.

Earlobe Grey Tea

Post by Earlobe Grey Tea » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:07 pm

I believe the Machine of Death is this one ~
http://machineofdeath.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The idea behind it was that it was an anthology of stories with the premise that there's a machine which will tell you how you will die, based on this comic by webcomic legend Ryan North: http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=675" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like this one; it's a shame it's not in the published book.
~Earlobe Grey Tea~
Feedback would be swell
Proud Member of the Pro-Gnome Community

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:24 pm

I like the new version. This all reminds me a bit of Heinlein's short story "Lifeline" (which didn't predict cause of death, but was accurate on amount of life left...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

jay4

Post by jay4 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:58 am

it's a shame it's not in the published book.
reminds me a bit of Heinlein
Wow! That's high praise! I blush with honor, ROU and Earlobe.

Jay4

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:00 am

You did bottle up the concept of the self-fulfilling (or machine-fulfilling in this case) prophesy quite nicely in a 100 word jug.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.