Reenactment

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
lbonanomi

Reenactment

Post by lbonanomi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:14 am

Generations of misfits and dreamers had come to the Society for Creative Anachronism to escape for awhile.

The grandest event of the SCA’s calendar was at the end of May, with members flocking to the East Coast for two weeks of fellowship, competition and the galvanizing of the traditional reenactor’s grief: the way things likely were versus the way they wished history to be.

Authenticity nazis combed gel into their hair and flocked to the beach to drink, flirt and brawl. Wishful thinkers rose early to witness somber parades, moments of silence and twenty-one gun salutes at volunteer built cenotaphs.
Go 'pods.

strawman

Re: Reenactment

Post by strawman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:53 pm

The way-things-were reenactment was frolicking at the beach. The wish-they-were was a state funeral?
Sounds like the Society for Creative Anachronism is another name for MSNBC.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

uncre8d1

Post by uncre8d1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:48 pm

I like this one. I have some friends in the SCA, and it's fun to think about what the future of that organization will be like. The story also implies, at least to me, that the society of the future will be one in which people hope that their ancestors took things more seriously, while the 'realists' insist upon reenactments of scenes from Jersey Shore (which, frighteningly enough, is in fact a historical record of a small slice of our society).
This post is made of at least 60% recycled letters. Want to help keep the Internet clean? You can, by sweeping any excess letters you may find into the 'reply' box.

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Small slice?
Snookie has greater name recognition that Richard Feyman.
And now she has metastasized!
The Andromeda Strain provided for this eventuality, but in that case the DHS Director was Michael Crichton.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

uncre8d1

Post by uncre8d1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Richard Feynman. He was Fran's dad on 'The Nanny,' right? :)
This post is made of at least 60% recycled letters. Want to help keep the Internet clean? You can, by sweeping any excess letters you may find into the 'reply' box.

lbonanomi

Post by lbonanomi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:53 am

Feel free to chalk this one up to my wishful thinking. Maybe its just a quirk on my part, but I whenever I encounter the phrase "Happy Memorial Day" I have this incredible urge to slap someone.
Go 'pods.