The somnambulist

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
apricity

The somnambulist

Post by apricity » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:11 am

Michael had not seen daylight for seventeen years. Why bother, he thought, unable to imagine life in garish sunlight. So Michael worked from home, blinds drawn to prevent any glimpse of day from entering. Today was no different. Come nightfall, Michael gleefully jumped up from his desk. He brushed his teeth and laid out his best suit in preparation for another night under the stars. Michael smiled as he drifted off to sleep, cocooned by his down comforter.

The city welcomed him with open arms, moonbeams caressing Michael’s face, as he unconsciously wandered into the path of a monstrous 18-wheeler.

uncre8d1

Re: The somnambulist

Post by uncre8d1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Nice first post. Welcome.
I don't know if this was your intention, but this got me thinking about the main character's experience. Does he remember and enjoy his dreams, or has he just learned to put his best foot forward in an uncontrollable situation? Is he lucid dreaming, aware that he's dreaming but with sufficiently skewed perception that he doesn't see the truck?
Of course, on another level it's a good 'enjoy it while it lasts' story.
Well done.
This post is made of at least 60% recycled letters. Want to help keep the Internet clean? You can, by sweeping any excess letters you may find into the 'reply' box.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:24 pm

I remember speculating in my youth about that "row,row,row your boat, life is but a dream", and that dreams are when you really get to live. A few times, my dreams even came with a roll of closing credits, an orchestral swell, and thank-yous to the Academy.

But the hardest part was always the tearful goodbyes at the cast party.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

apricity

Post by apricity » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:51 am

uncre8d1 wrote:Nice first post. Welcome.
I don't know if this was your intention, but this got me thinking about the main character's experience. Does he remember and enjoy his dreams, or has he just learned to put his best foot forward in an uncontrollable situation? Is he lucid dreaming, aware that he's dreaming but with sufficiently skewed perception that he doesn't see the truck?
Of course, on another level it's a good 'enjoy it while it lasts' story.
Well done.
Thanks for the feedback, uncre8d1. First Drabble...and perhaps a little inspired by my history of childhood sleepwalking. Definitely tough to stick to the word limit, especially because I felt compelled to answer the very questions you posed. But I guess that's the beauty of the Drabble - not answering all of the questions.

uncre8d1

Post by uncre8d1 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:06 pm

apricity wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, uncre8d1. First Drabble...and perhaps a little inspired by my history of childhood sleepwalking. Definitely tough to stick to the word limit, especially because I felt compelled to answer the very questions you posed. But I guess that's the beauty of the Drabble - not answering all of the questions.
Yes indeedy, the word limit really makes you think. More than once I've attempted a drabble only to go back and count four thousand words. The limit really makes you think about what's crucial to the story you're telling (which is great for me, as I tend to go on Tolkienesque tangents but lack the skill to make it interesting).

Looking forward to more from you.
This post is made of at least 60% recycled letters. Want to help keep the Internet clean? You can, by sweeping any excess letters you may find into the 'reply' box.