The Imp of the Perverse Kind of Looks Like a Jawa

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Douglas Hackle

The Imp of the Perverse Kind of Looks Like a Jawa

Post by Douglas Hackle » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Whenever she told me she loved me my response was always: “I know.”

She thought this was Han-Solo-sexy early on. But nine years, three kids, and one terminal cancer diagnosis later, she was ready for “I love you.”

How I longed to tell her those words, but my compulsion prevented me. When at last I overcame it, I was too late.

Then a new impulse held me in irrational thrall: to freeze my children in carbonite.

At least before I lowered them into the chamber, I said to them the three words I was never able to say to her.

HailToTheChimp

Re: The Imp of the Perverse Kind of Looks Like a Jawa

Post by HailToTheChimp » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:18 pm

I like the mix of SW reference silliness and effective tragic drama. It's always impressive when a piece of this length conveys emotion effectively.

Douglas Hackle

Re: The Imp of the Perverse Kind of Looks Like a Jawa

Post by Douglas Hackle » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Hey, thanks.

I've been fascinated by "the imp of the perverse" idea ever since reading the Poe story of the same name many moons ago. And I've always sort of got a kick out of Han Solo's famous "I know" line in Empire. What's more, I've been told by more than one woman that his utterance of the line was swoon-inducing in its super-sexy, super-noncommittal, super-unreciprocated way. So this drabble was written as a ridiculously uncalled-for fusion of that SW reference with the Poe idea (I believe "the imp" concept might actually predate Poe, but I always associate it with him.)

In truth, I wasn't really going for "effective tragic drama" or even "effectively conveyed emotion" with this one, but if that's what you got from it, that's awesome. Gotta love those unintended side effects--the good ones at least. And who the hell cares what I was going for anyway? :)