Something Went Extinct Today (Nobody's Home Themed)

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
munsi

Something Went Extinct Today (Nobody's Home Themed)

Post by munsi » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:24 am

…don’t worry, it wasn’t anything good.

A little bird, red and yellow, in a part of the world you’ve never heard of.

It’s habitat was ploughed under to make room for a mine that we all agree we need resources from.

The last of the species died, alone and afraid, in a nest built in part of a tractor. It didn’t even know why it was dying.

And no one and nothing will miss it.

You could count the people who’d seen it on your fingers.

Ah well…

Tomorrow something else’ll go extinct.

Hopefully, it’ll make for a better story.

UmbrageOfSnow

Re: Something Went Extinct Today (Nobody's Home Themed)

Post by UmbrageOfSnow » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:33 pm

This is so sad, I want to force other people to read it to make them sad too. Great job!

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:37 pm

I find this one morally confusing rather than sad. How many people would have a qualm about squashing a mosquito, if it was the last mosquito?

It isn't a question of IF any particular species will go extinct, but WHEN. Humans too, someday. It is the death of one person that is just as sad to me. The problem is death, personal extinction.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

UmbrageOfSnow

Post by UmbrageOfSnow » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:24 pm

I disagree!

Was going to leave it at that with a picture of a utahraptor, but perhaps I should explain.

I find that the saddest thing is when something no longer exists or is no longer possible. Any loss could matter, as you point out, but a loss of potential experience matters more (to me). If you kill a mosquito, then maybe it won't bite you, and you'll be saved a little itching. If you kill the last mosquito, then being bitten by a mosquito is something you'll never experience again, and neither will your children or grandchildren, etc.

You might find being bitten by a mosquito unpleasant, but it perhaps it "builds character" or leads to an interesting story about that time I was camping in Wisconsin and had 200 bites the next day and it added an itchy kind of humor to a situation that would otherwise be just sadly losing the girl I liked. When I tell my grandkids that story someday, will they focus on what the hell mosquitos were? Because that might cause missing of the point, or needless backstory, or just a loss of understanding due to cultural change. They won't have had the same experiences I had, and that is a bit sad.

Of course, as you pointed out, everything goes extinct, everything dies, and no generation will have the same experiences as before, nor should they. But every time a bit of that potential for different experiences or information is lost, it is sad. We live in a sad universe.

On track with the story, I think it was also sad because no one cares about little birds going extinct. AHEM.