A Pueblo Eulogy

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Flintknapper

A Pueblo Eulogy

Post by Flintknapper » Thu May 09, 2013 9:21 pm

The men from the south arrived riding atop large dogs with weapons of steel and thunder. Under the sign of the pale-skinned prophet from the east, they demanded our food and our homes. We gave what we could, but such offerings did not abate their desires. Then drought came and disease spread. Still, they asked for more, but there was nothing left to take. With the spirits of the earth and sky by our side, we revolted against them and their god. The battles which ensued were bloody. Many lives were lost. In the end, all that remained were ruins.

strawman

Re: A Pueblo Eulogy

Post by strawman » Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Welcome, Flintknapper.

A couple of bones: Why were the men from the South followers of the prophet from the East? I mean, speaking as a man from the South, we don't generally think too highly of Eastern prophets. Three towel-head prophets came here looking for a baby in a manger once, and we kicked their camel-jockey asses right back to Washington DC.

Also, I don't quite follow why a current of air would cause disease to spread (unless you meant draught beer, but then that stumps me too.)

Did you perhaps mean drought?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Thu May 09, 2013 11:05 pm

lol typo. I did mean drought.

As for men from the south he refering to the Coronado Expedition which came from the south and worshiped Christ from the east.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri May 10, 2013 2:04 am

If you ever want to inspect the other side of Coronado's coin, I recommend the patron saint of the Unconquistador, Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81lvar ... za_de_Vaca.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Fri May 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Fixed the typos in the Drabble. I didnt know I could edit.

As for Vaca, the problem I have with him being portrayed in a positive light is that his return ushered in the interest which would ultimately lead to the Coronado Expedition and that expedition was brutal to the local pueblos especially those centered around the Albuquerque area. This drabble was inspired by indian ruins in general, but particularly the narratives regarding the siege at Moho. I had just come back from a lecture by Matt Schmader on the archaeology of the pueblo when I sat at the computer and wrote the initial draft of this.

Been listening to the drabblecast for a long time, but decided to try to participate in the drabble writing for the first time. It is harder than it looks.