The Horror Awaits (Lovecraft?)

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Sunner

The Horror Awaits (Lovecraft?)

Post by Sunner » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:51 am

The train was quickly and silently swallowed by the fog as it pulled away from the deserted platform. I was alone with only a single gaslight, glowing feebly above the station exit, to light my way out. I knew that every step forward took me closer to the horror that awaited me. I reached my destination, and shaking uncontrollably, I swung open the black, wrought-iron gate. It let out a jarring screech, announcing my arrival to the malignant presence inhabiting the decrepit old house. The front door swung open as I mounted the steps. “You are late!” said my mother-in-law.
**Sunner**

DoctorBanzai

Re: The Horror Awaits (Lovecraft?)

Post by DoctorBanzai » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:15 am

Nice twist. Very enjoyable.

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Lovecraftian horror is about the un-explainable and un-comprehensible. A mother-in-law does kind of fit that bill. So yeah, good drabble H. P. Sunner!

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Good atmosphere, and the monster at the end is both terrifying and insanity-inducing like all the other Elder Gods.

Boy am I loving all this fanfare running up to Lovecraft Month!! It's sort of like when they start playing Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving, except less likely to drive you bonkers.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

PhineasQP

Post by PhineasQP » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:08 am

Nothing beats a good Mother-in-law punchline. You got a good guffaw out of me with this one!
I'm Phineas Q. Picklefeather, and I approve this message.

Sunner

Post by Sunner » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Thank you all...

...Varda...while doing this, I found that trying to set a Lovecraft-like atmosphere VERY difficult within the word limitation. It seems to me that, by its very nature, Lovecraft moods require a great deal of description and that leaves very little room in a drabble for any storyline/action.
**Sunner**