Drabble: "Entrapment"

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Thomas Daulton

Drabble: "Entrapment"

Post by Thomas Daulton » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:43 am

The driver ahead and to my right swerves briefly into my lane. When the Botts’ dots rumble startles him, he looks up from some object he held on the steering wheel or in his lap. Texting. He then over-reacts, tires squeaking and jolting from side to side.

I’m so sick of people doing this. And then what do I see? A huge billboard by the side of the road: “TEXTING WHILE DRIVING KILLS. REPORT OFFENDERS’ LICENSE PLATES TO *711” Damn straight I will!

“Honey,” my wife warns, as I start to see red and blue flashes in my mirror.

Oooops.

"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

strawman

Re: Drabble: "Entrapment"

Post by strawman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:58 am

Take the plank from your eye, buddy.

Very nice.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks, Strawman!

I am perpetually amused by this statistic: 80 to 90% of U.S. drivers (and around 70-80% of European drivers) consistently in numerous different polls believe themselves to be "above average" drivers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_s ... ng_ability

I always wonder, what horrific things did that remaining 20% do, which disabused themselves of the notion that they are above average? "After the third grandma splattered across my windshield, and my car insurance went up to $15,000 per month, I really had to face the fact that I was a below average driver."
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Also, I was wondering if anyone picked up on the subtlety... given the title...

It was awful conveeeeeeeenient that the huge billboard appeared right after the narrator saw a driver who was apparently texting. Makes you wonder if perhaps an undercover cop was driving an unmarked police car for this purpose... Well, the narrator is never going to find out. He has other problems now.

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:46 pm

In fact I think I'm gonna edit "Report" to "Send" just to play up that notion one little tad. Whadd'y'all think?

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Can the day be far off when digital billboards are synced to speak directly to passersby based on their digital signatures?

Spoiler:

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:32 pm

Love the idea, that could be a whole different set of stories by itself, Strawman!

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:40 pm

It is true. I mean hell who has been almost killed by someone texting or talking on their cell phone.

Realistically though, I will admit I am not the best driver and I have talked on my cell phone while driving. I have even texted which is surprising since I am one of the least skilled people when it comes to technology.

Very good drabble.

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Anyone else been pulled over while listening to the Drabblecast?

I didn't notice the flashing lights cause I had stuff piled in the back of the car, and didn't hear the siren cause I had earbuds in so it took him about 3 miles to get my attention.

By that time, I sure had his, tho. :(

Spoiler:

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:39 pm

strawman wrote:Anyone else been pulled over while listening to the Drabblecast?

I didn't notice the flashing lights cause I had stuff piled in the back of the car, and didn't hear the siren cause I had earbuds in so it took him about 3 miles to get my attention.

By that time, I sure had his, tho. :(
You get the cops, I get the robbers. Some people have all the luck!
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

gunsofchekhovia

Post by gunsofchekhovia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:46 pm

While I do in fact do most of my podcast listening in a vehicle, I don't use headphones. Just ain't worth the hassle. Also, I sometimes have to rewind because I missed what was going on in a story while I was tex... um... paying attention to the road.

Nice piece, Daulton. A suggestion: I think it would be funnier if the offended offender were requested to send offending license plate numbers to a full phone number including area code.

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:30 am

Thanks, "guns"! I was experimenting with several ways of getting across the idea that a billboard prohibiting cell phone use would ask you to use a cell phone. Perhaps printing out a phone number would be the best way to do it, although I liked the *711 because it can only be dialed from a cell phone. Not sure, maybe I'll play with it some more.