The Architects

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

The Architects

Post by Varda » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:35 pm

The architects that built the world are long gone. Many aeons ago, they lived, labored, and died in mats in the shallows. Their offspring, architects also, plied the family trade atop the graves of their forebears, until they too passed. And so one biofilm atop the next, strange, striped stones emerged.

We remember them for the rocks, but the architects left something greater still. Together those venerable microbes spun sunlight into atmosphere, shaping the very air into the element which gives voice to speech and song.

We stand not on the backs of giants, but on the bones of bacteria.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Flintknapper

Re: The Architects

Post by Flintknapper » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:22 pm

At first I thought you were talking specifically about coral reefs. However, I think after reading the ending you are talking about the foundation of all life. I liked it. The drabble has a broad spec fic appeal kind of making you think about your origins.

One of the best Cthulhu tales I remember listening too in recent years (and I think it was on the drabblecast many moons ago, but I could be wrong) was one that looked at our fossil fuel society as being fueled by the dead... which is really true. This kind of took me down the same road as it makes us recognize the alien (to me anyways) society which gave us life.

Varda

Post by Varda » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 pm

You're definitely on the right track, Flintknapper. I was thinking of stromatolites and cyanobacteria, which are responsible for turning the atmosphere from methane to oxygen waaaaaaaay back in the day. They left behind these weird layered rocks where huge mats of the bacteria clustered and died. Similar to coral in many ways, but more ancient.

I find it breathtaking and humbling to remember that all human achievement is built on the toil of little guys like this.

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:56 pm

I second the praise, this one was nicely written and evoked contemplation of the wonders our one-celled ancestors wrought... You and flintknapper are making me reconsider whether or not nonfiction drabbles can be fun!

I believe there are two places in the world where you can still see living stromatolites: Cuatro Cienegas, Mexico, and some secluded lagoon someplace on the East Coast of Australia. Maybe they'll make a comeback... :)
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

MonsieurMoustache

Post by MonsieurMoustache » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:20 pm

But aren't bacteria boneless? I quibble in jealousy.

Another great drabble from the Varda factory.

gunsofchekhovia

Post by gunsofchekhovia » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:49 pm

*clap clap clap*

Varda

Post by Varda » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:17 pm

Danke, danke! :D
Thomas Daulton wrote:You and flintknapper are making me reconsider whether or not nonfiction drabbles can be fun!
Oh, nonfiction can be loads of fun! Someday someone's gonna make the mistake of asking me to write a textbook, and they're gonna get something in the style of my drabbles.

And that's a statement, not a fact. :P

Drabblescout Badges: