The Final Commute

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
chemistryguy

The Final Commute

Post by chemistryguy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 pm

There was no logical reason why the highway was folding back onto itself. Nonetheless, Ted found himself in the curious situation of driving his Impala up a sheer blacktop incline. As his car slowed, he attempted to compensate with a bit more gas. The pedal sank useless to the carpeted floor. With a numb sense of dread, Ted noted that none of his fellow commuters appeared to share his predicament. An alarm began sounding in his head.

“I think he was asleep,” said the bystander to the state patrolman, “but he was doing better than 100 when his car flipped.”

There have been many times on my 50 minute commute that I've found myself starting to drift. The frightening thing about these episodes is that it seems the harder I resist sleep, the greater my body fights back. I usually pull off at the next exit and procure a caffeinated beverage, but I typically check my surroundings once I've arrived home safely to verify that I am indeed awake.

strawman

Re: The Final Commute

Post by strawman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Been there. And had the suspicion that I may inhabit a universe in which I have crashed and burned, but seamlessly made the jump to an alternate universe. Who knows how many times this may have happened? Who knows how many chances I have left in my account?

This may be an unstudied aspect of video game exposure. We are just avatars.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

gunsofchekhovia

Post by gunsofchekhovia » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Oh, man. There is nothing that feels better than falling asleep at the wheel, getting that little bit of rest when you really need it, and nothing more frightening than waking up and realizing you were asleep at the wheel. I mean, theoretically. Not that it's ever happened to me.

This is an excellent piece, chemistryguy, and a sobering one.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Great piece, and surreal. I can really relate, especially right now. I've been up since 3AM... :shock:
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:06 pm

creepy. I think we can all relate. Very atmospheric.