Making New Friends (Simulation Theme)

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Making New Friends (Simulation Theme)

Post by Varda » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:58 pm

Nolan had friends. Nolan had loads of friends. 1,224, to be exact.

Whenever he threw parties, he invited all 1,224 of them and received 1,224 RSVPs.

Of course, this always meant one hell of a grocery run. It took Nolan three trips to schlep all the 2-liters of Shasta, cocktail wieners, and pizza bites home in his hatchback.

8PM came and went, but nobody showed.

Later, Nolan brooded over his Facebook list of 1,224 disappointments.

Oh, well. Time to make new friends.

He clicked the “new account” button and got to work on Friend# 1,225. Maybe this one wouldn’t disappoint.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Cwpants

Re: Making New Friends (Simulation Theme)

Post by Cwpants » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:55 am

Poor, strange Nolan....

I like it! Creepy :D
C.W. Pants

“The road to hell is paved with adverbs.”
― Stephen King, On Writing

gunsofchekhovia

Post by gunsofchekhovia » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:03 am

I love it, Varda. I've got some online friends with whom I feel closer than most of the people I know in "real life." As far as I can tell, they are all actual people, but I guess you never know.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:22 am

Facebook needs a friend rating system.

If they don't do it, I may start a competitor and call it call it "Friendbook". The difference would be that you grade all your friends from 1 to 10 based on how good a friend they are. Your cumulative score average is used to weigh your own votes, so if most of your 'friends' think you are a jerk, your vote counts 1/10th of what it would be worth if your 'friends' thought you were great.

Also, it would be totally okay to send people things to influence their opinion of you, just like life. Not the stupid sticker stuff Facebook has. Boats and cars. Trips to Europe.

Also, people with the lowest scores would be sent to personality reformation camps run by Dale Carnegie and the Church of Scientology. To win friends and influence people, you need serious swag, plus a strong incentive not to be disliked.

And you better damn well come to Nolan's party.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

chemistryguy

Post by chemistryguy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:22 pm

strawman wrote:Facebook needs a friend rating system.

If they don't do it, I may start a competitor and call it call it "Friendbook". The difference would be that you grade all your friends from 1 to 10 based on how good a friend they are. Your cumulative score average is used to weigh your own votes, so if most of your 'friends' think you are a jerk, your vote counts 1/10th of what it would be worth if your 'friends' thought you were great.

Also, it would be totally okay to send people things to influence their opinion of you, just like life. Not the stupid sticker stuff Facebook has. Boats and cars. Trips to Europe.

Also, people with the lowest scores would be sent to personality reformation camps run by Dale Carnegie and the Church of Scientology. To win friends and influence people, you need serious swag, plus a strong incentive not to be disliked.

There's so much Like here I don't know where to begin :D

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:47 pm

chemistryguy wrote:
strawman wrote:Facebook needs a friend rating system.

There's so much Like here I don't know where to begin :D
Seconded! :D :D :D

Now, anyone want to help me drink all this Shasta?
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

MonsieurMoustache

Post by MonsieurMoustache » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:32 am

Fantastic work, Vard. But if I'd the computer for Facebook, I'd just type phrases like "We are the bestest of besties" into word and right-click speech - loop. No need for all that carpel-tunnel syndrome.

Either that or join myspace. You'd be totally alone, but at least you'd have Tom.