A Bus as Long as the World

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Scattercat

A Bus as Long as the World

Post by Scattercat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:52 am

It's not so bad here. If you are strong or clever, you can claim takeout bags almost nightly. The seats are narrow, true, but that just makes them easier to defend, once wedged against the blackened windows.

Yes, I have also heard the rumors. That somewhere overhead is the Upper Deck, where the wealthy cavort amongst entire square feet of space and sometimes even catch a glimpse of sunlight. But beware: to travel risks falling into the Axles, and the desperate, fareless creatures who cling there, lusting for bus tokens which they must never obtain, for the good of all.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Re: A Bus as Long as the World

Post by Varda » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:13 am

I must admit, I can't but help think of that DC episode about the guy lurking underneath the seats on the subway. This adds a new level to the mythology with those little token-eating critters...
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:17 am

Oh, they don't eat them. They use them.

Horrid, grasping, vicious vermin, clawing and biting and scrabbling for everything they can get, uncaring, inhuman, bestial, and cruel.

Once they're on the bus, how will we ever tell them apart? We'd never be rid of them.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:46 am

Scattercat wrote:Oh, they don't eat them. They use them.

Horrid, grasping, vicious vermin, clawing and biting and scrabbling for everything they can get, uncaring, inhuman, bestial, and cruel.

Once they're on the bus, how will we ever tell them apart? We'd never be rid of them.
I had never thought of it, but you're right: :shock:

I've only travelled on Greyhound a couple of times, several years apart, but I'm pretty sure the passengers, and the people in the station, were the same both times.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:54 pm

symbolic. Loved it. Especially the hirearchy of the bus and taht the journey from the middle to the wealthy may result in you falling prey to what lies below.