Days of Rain

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Days of Rain

Post by Varda » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:54 pm

When the wind smelled savory and the clouds looked like burnished gold, Mom would send us outside with all the pots and pans, buckets and basins in the house, which we’d tuck beneath the rain gutters.

We’d barely sleep from anticipation, the rumbles above echoing ones in our tummies. At dawn, if school was out, Mom would let us play in the chicken soup that poured down in warm sheets. For hours, we’d splash in fragrant puddles swirling with noodles and worms. Mom always called us in too soon.

All winter, we’d sip mugs of rain and feel warm again.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

gunsofchekhovia

Re: Days of Rain

Post by gunsofchekhovia » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:48 pm

This is just beautiful, Varda. I want to feel like it's silly and funny, but it's just kind of surreal and pleasant instead. Love it.

Varda

Post by Varda » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks, Guns. :) I was going for completely uncynical - glad it worked. 'Tis the season of soup! And colds. Fortunately, one helps the other.

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 pm

I had to sit through most of "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" when I took Archie to get his hair cut. I even used to like the book itself.

I advise against seeing the movie unless you are under duress.

Varda

Post by Varda » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:28 am

Actually, I haven't had the pleasure (of reading it) or the horror (of seeing it). I take it there's food showers involved? :)

You'd think more makers of children's movies would take pity on the poor parents. Then again, I'm sure we all had pretty undiscriminating tastes at some point in our lives. I used to love the 80's bad version of My Little Pony when I was real young. Kinda makes me feel kinship with the Bronies nowadays! At least the show they're obsessing over is actually pretty fun. :D

Drabblescout Badges:

MonsieurMoustache

Post by MonsieurMoustache » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Aw. But does this mean chickens are being slaughtered and cooked in the clouds? Poor chickens.

Varda

Post by Varda » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:47 pm

MonsieurMoustache wrote:Aw. But does this mean chickens are being slaughtered and cooked in the clouds? Poor chickens.
Nah, it just condenses from chicken vapor that evaporates from the Great Chicken Soup Sea.The air currents carry it all the way from the Southern Hemisphere, just in time for cold and flue season. Now occasionally, you get a freak freeze during the rains, leading to the seasonal hazard of chicken gazpacho, which is unfortunately becoming more and more common, thanks to erratic weather patterns and global warming. :lol:

Drabblescout Badges:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:23 am

And now in Audio at the Dribblecast:
http://www.dribblecast.org/2014/07/06/d ... s-of-rain/
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.