Jonothan's having an off day (Extinct/Endangered Species)

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
uncre8d1

Jonothan's having an off day (Extinct/Endangered Species)

Post by uncre8d1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:54 am

The copier was jammed again. Figures, thought Jonothan as he knelt before the spiteful god of his workday and made his obeisance.

He winced. Ah, my old friend Tension Headache. The pain only lasted a moment, but whatever. He finished up with the copier, refraining from kicking the piece of crap through the glass side of the building, and returned to his desk.

The pain was back, suddenly and more powerfully than ever. He fell. Eyes pouring blood, Jonothan died.

Outside, the elder thing spanked its child for speaking to the odd little creature. There weren't many left, after all.
This post is made of at least 60% recycled letters. Want to help keep the Internet clean? You can, by sweeping any excess letters you may find into the 'reply' box.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Re: Jonothan's having an off day (Extinct/Endangered Species

Post by Varda » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:15 pm

Oh, I really like this one! Quite appropriate, as those horrible little glass office farms do feel like human-habitats. On the balance, I think I prefer to think we're being watched by a cosmic horror rather than just a micromanaging boss.

Great job with that first bit about kneeling to the copier-god too. It has great synergy with the ending. :D
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

uncre8d1

Post by uncre8d1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks. I'm glad it came off, since the initial writing was almost 200 words and I had trouble cutting it down. Guess my Drabbler needs a tune up.
This post is made of at least 60% recycled letters. Want to help keep the Internet clean? You can, by sweeping any excess letters you may find into the 'reply' box.

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:47 pm

It's all about the Great OZ, Varda. The micromanaging boss behind the curtain projects into the cosmic horror. This kinda deflates our own bubble sense of self-significance, don't it? On the other hand, with no one to unjam the copy machine, the Great Oz is powerless.

I yearn for the days when monks copied documents by hand. Served as a kind of bureaucratic limit.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

uncre8d1

Post by uncre8d1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:50 pm

strawman wrote:I yearn for the days when monks copied documents by hand. Served as a kind of bureaucratic limit.
Ah, the inescapable tyranny of efficiency. I'm wondering what we'll do with middle managers when the Singularity occurs.

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:53 pm

uncre8d1 wrote: I'm wondering what we'll do with middle managers when the Singularity occurs.
To adapt an old manufacturing joke to a new context, there will be one man, and one dog.
The man's job will be the feed the dog.
The dog's job will be to keep the man from messing with the settings.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"