Quaintness (Post-relevance Prompt)

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
unseentangerine

Quaintness (Post-relevance Prompt)

Post by unseentangerine » Tue May 13, 2014 11:56 pm

I wrote this a while ago but I just wasn't in love with it (as I am usually, completely in love with every word I utter). But I am having lots of fun using the prompts because they spark me to write about stuff I'm not as in tune with. So, you, the forum, can either accuse or excuse it. So may it be!
_
When something clearly man-made was noticed, all excavation stopped. Scientists of many disciplines appeared and vied for space and resources to find what they wanted to find. Nothing noteworthy was collected—bits of arcane technology, once advanced. Eventually they agreed to let digging resume, despite the protests of a single anthropology student. She ranted about her theory of some “godlike force that once joined all humans into collective consciousness.” She was mocked and dismissed. Determined, she came back that night and continued digging. Finally, dirty and exhausted, she found a name written on a subcranial implant fragment—the evidence she needed: Google+.

(". . . subcranial implant fragment" is one bonehead phrase IMO)
Many on the forum have asked me, so here's my answer: a spoonful of lighter fluid. And you'll need to wash it out really well when you're done.