Pay it Forward

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
c_lucio

Pay it Forward

Post by c_lucio » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:49 am

Blake pulled a Sacagawea dollar from his pocket and put it in the ferryman’s palm. Collins fished in his pockets and found nothing. The ferryman tapped his foot, waiting.

“Hurry up and pay the man,” Blake said.

Collins looked up sheepishly. “How much is it, exactly?” he asked.

“Anything shiny will do,” the ferryman answered.

Collins reached into the hole in his chest and pulled out the bullet, handing it to the ferryman who nodded in approval. Collins glanced over his shoulder, digging out the second bullet. “For the person behind me,” he said. The line was stretching quite long.
-Caprizant Lucio

Horrorshow

Re: Pay it Forward

Post by Horrorshow » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Well written.

bounceswoosh

Post by bounceswoosh » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Haunting. I immediately started building up my own story of how he must have died.

c_lucio

Post by c_lucio » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:10 am

Thank you both!
-Caprizant Lucio

MonsieurMoustache

Post by MonsieurMoustache » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:28 am

Yikes. Instantly paints a thousand possible events. But I'm also wondering what Charon does with all that shiny. Is he like a magpie?

Very good drabble. If I may make a suggestion for improvement, some words are repeated a few times. 'The Ferryman' is used 5 times, and I feel it would be stronger and give you a chance to suggest more about the character to use a different way to refer to him. Also, 'behind' is used twice in close conjunction in the last paragraph.

c_lucio

Post by c_lucio » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:35 am

MonsieurMoustache wrote:If I may make a suggestion for improvement, some words are repeated a few times. 'The Ferryman' is used 5 times, and I feel it would be stronger and give you a chance to suggest more about the character to use a different way to refer to him. Also, 'behind' is used twice in close conjunction in the last paragraph.
I'm taking that to heart. This is the first drabble I've written that I feel any sense of satisfaction with, so I'm still learning the intricacies of the form.

A quick edit for now gets rid of the "behind"; the ferryman issue I'll have to keep working on.
-Caprizant Lucio

SpareInch

Post by SpareInch » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:53 am

c_lucio wrote:
MonsieurMoustache wrote:If I may make a suggestion for improvement, some words are repeated a few times. 'The Ferryman' is used 5 times, and I feel it would be stronger and give you a chance to suggest more about the character to use a different way to refer to him. Also, 'behind' is used twice in close conjunction in the last paragraph.
I'm taking that to heart. This is the first drabble I've written that I feel any sense of satisfaction with, so I'm still learning the intricacies of the form.

A quick edit for now gets rid of the "behind"; the ferryman issue I'll have to keep working on.

If only all our behinds could be reduced so easily.
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.