Windows of the Soul?

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
unreliable narrator

Windows of the Soul?

Post by unreliable narrator » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Cecilia despised her synthetic eyes. She sat by the mirror each evening gazing at her reflection, her china face perfectly painted, and dark curls falling in neat ringlets. Over time the plan had come to her, and tonight she would act.

The cat spat and paced inside its crate as she approached, tail twitching. She raised one side swiftly, grasping the screaming beast, tearing porcelain fingers into its flesh, popping one eye then the other from its socket with triumphant precision.

This evening she sits by the mirror, green irises luminescent in the twilight. Content, yet still unable to smile.
"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight."
HP Lovecraft

Horrorshow

Re: Windows of the Soul?

Post by Horrorshow » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:28 am

Splendidly macabre. This is right up my alley. Very well written, unreliable narrator.

unreliable narrator

Post by unreliable narrator » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks Horrorshow! I really struggle with the 100 word format because it's so restricting... somethings got to go, be it characterisation, background, setting or whatever, but really glad you liked it! As a result of my struggling I thought it might be fun to do a sequel drabble story to give another perspective. Is that cheating? Anyway, here goes...

Perspective

Looking down from her grimy attic window Cecilia could survey the large expanse of manicured lawn and over the trees beyond. She could hear the cries of the woodland creatures therein, the wavering note of an owl and the occasional infant-like scream of a fox in the valley. When she closed her eyes she could imagine the sickly scent of sap and the gentle crunch of pine needles beneath her feet.

She turned sadly from the pane, jade eyes flashing the brief reflection of her single candle flame as it sputtered out. She was left in darkness, cold and alone.
"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight."
HP Lovecraft

PB&Jellyphish320

Post by PB&Jellyphish320 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Ooohhh this is Terribly nice! Attention getting title, and and marvelously cold character. Good job!
~ What's that in the mirror, or the corner of your eyes. What's those footsteps following but never passing by . . .

~ The Doctor

unseentangerine

Post by unseentangerine » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:15 am

+1
Many on the forum have asked me, so here's my answer: a spoonful of lighter fluid. And you'll need to wash it out really well when you're done.

MonsieurMoustache

Post by MonsieurMoustache » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Ghoulish.
Cat-eyed dolls. That'll give even Bloody Mary a run for her scary money.

unreliable narrator

Post by unreliable narrator » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:45 pm

I'll take Ghoulish! Thanks :lol:
HP Lovecraft

Lucy Jayne

Post by Lucy Jayne » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:23 pm

This one caught my attention, I love it. Made me squirm at the end :D

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Lucy Jayne wrote:This one caught my attention, I love it. Made me squirm at the end :D
Careful, Lucy Jayne. The Worm Within has the same effect.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"