Life's little pleasures

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
pondspider

Life's little pleasures

Postby pondspider » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:22 pm

Grandma Smith Bollería lived in a ramshackle cottage by the village green. A much-loved character, if a little eccentric. The less charitable might say weird.

She was renown for her home-baked cakes and pastries and, in fine weather and foul, would sit at a covered stall by her front gate hollering, “Lovely cakes. Get yer lovely cakes. Free to all and sundry”.

No one thought to ask why.

She smiled sweetly as people accepted her offerings, particularly when young children came by.

At close of day she returned indoors, eager to enjoy the day’s takings. Grasping the ornate vial of life-essence.

SpareInch

Re: Life's little pleasures

Postby SpareInch » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:37 pm

I do like Granny Smith. So sweet, yet sharp as a tack. ;)
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

strawman

Postby strawman » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:49 pm

I love her in a pie.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:41 pm

SpareInch wrote:I do like Granny Smith. So sweet, yet sharp as a tack. ;)

It was a last-minute name change... I didn't make the connection until your comment :)

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:27 pm

To avoid further apple references, I've changed Grandma's name :)

Horrorshow

Postby Horrorshow » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:24 pm

pondspider wrote:To avoid further apple references, I've changed Grandma's name :)

Probably wise. Smashing drabble though.

MonsieurMoustache

Postby MonsieurMoustache » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:05 pm

I liked Granny Smith. It let me know what kind if pies she was making. Sorry, cakes. Grandma Smith was subtle enough that it didn't distract, and it's an amusing name. I enjoy her description and character a lot and that just adds an extra bit of flavour.

I like the Drabble, but I'm a little confused as to how she gets the life essence? They eat her cakes and it somehow goes into a vial?

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:40 am

MonsieurMoustache wrote:I like the Drabble, but I'm a little confused as to how she gets the life essence? They eat her cakes and it somehow goes into a vial?

Make that an ornate vial. :)

Let's just say that Grandma is not what she seems ;)

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:50 am

MonsieurMoustache wrote:I like the Drabble, but I'm a little confused as to how she gets the life essence? They eat her cakes and it somehow goes into a vial?

I thought she had one of those hand held transporter things they used in Deep Space 9 to find shape shifters by taking blood samples. Just turn a little dial on the side and it goes from the blood setting to the life essence setting.

Simple! :D

strawman

Postby strawman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:22 pm

My take is less nefarious, and simpler. It is that charity is its own reward.
I wondered, because of the "eccentric, some would say weird" line, and the fact that this is, face it, the Drabblecast in the month of October, in which everything is always nefarious.

But why would pondspider walk away from a perfectly good granny smith pun? How about them apples? It isn't about apples, it's about the Bolleria, the provider of pastries. Granny is eccentric in that she takes the essence of life, the joy of giving pleasure, particularly to children.

I must say, pondspider, from a Drabblecast perspective, if this was your intention, you have left yourself open to ridicule. You can't put lipstick on a pig, unless you are running a pig bordello. And the same goes for Granny Bolleria.

So if you want to be taken seriously here, you'll have to explain to us how the little children died from the loss of their life essence.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:00 pm

strawman wrote:My take is less nefarious, and simpler. It is that charity is its own reward.
I wondered, because of the "eccentric, some would say weird" line, and the fact that this is, face it, the Drabblecast in the month of October, in which everything is always nefarious.

But why would pondspider walk away from a perfectly good granny smith pun? How about them apples? It isn't about apples, it's about the Bolleria, the provider of pastries. Granny is eccentric in that she takes the essence of life, the joy of giving pleasure, particularly to children.

I must say, pondspider, from a Drabblecast perspective, if this was your intention, you have left yourself open to ridicule. You can't put lipstick on a pig, unless you are running a pig bordello. And the same goes for Granny Bolleria.

So if you want to be taken seriously here, you'll have to explain to us how the little children died from the loss of their life essence.

I meant this to be creepy at the end. Granny Smith Bollería lives in this old cottage on the green. Been there as long as anyone can remember. Longer.

It's a bit like the classic Gingerbread House tale. She attracts people, especially kiddies, with her lovely cakes and pastries. No one dies, but she milks from each customer a little something, not so much that they'd notice. Younger ones have the tastiest and most potent essence. Mmmmm.

As for the Granny Smith pun... absolutely unintentional. I swear to Whoever (Whomever?) is in charge.

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:01 pm

pondspider wrote:Younger ones have the tastiest and most potent essence. Mmmmm.

So it's kind of Mr Kipling's Clown Eggs?

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:22 pm

SpareInch wrote:
pondspider wrote:Younger ones have the tastiest and most potent essence. Mmmmm.

So it's kind of Mr Kipling's Clown Eggs?

This really *is* getting twisted :twisted:

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:27 pm

And all because you wanted to write a nice little tale about a public spirited and kindly little old lady.

Return to “Drabbles”