Welcoming Committee (Halloween)

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
gunsofchekhovia

Welcoming Committee (Halloween)

Postby gunsofchekhovia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:21 pm

Well, howdy, neighbor! Nice ta meetcha!

Yeah, it’s a real quiet neighborhood.

I hate to spring this on you so soon after you moving in, but this is “need to know.” The kids here, they’re different. And they love Halloween, ‘cause they get to roam around without masks on. You gotta have those taffies with the razorblades and the rat poison crunchy bars. My wife’ll email your wife the recipe.

Trust me. When you open the door and see those horrible, infinite eyes and that slavering mouth, you’ll give treats and know you don’t want to see what “trick” means.

pondspider

Re: Welcoming Committee (Halloween)

Postby pondspider » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:43 pm

Learnt a new word, "taffies" :)

I'm a little confused about the final sentence and, being 'ere in good ol' England (say it with a fake Cockerney accent, a la Dick van Dyke), I'm not entirely familiar with the Trick-or-Treat protocols.

I always thought the "trick" was something the householder did, e.g. to give the caller a bag full of laxative sweets. I may have acquired this false notion from a Charlie Brown cartoon.

I'm beginning to come round to a different reality: the caller plays a trick on the householder if no treats are forthcoming.

Would someone who knows about these things please enlighten me?

Sunner

Postby Sunner » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:23 pm

you are correct. The trick would be played by the kids if there was no treat. Typically toilet papering a house, soaping a car, etc... having said that, that part of the tradition seems to have gone away and I have not heard tricks being played in a very long time. I suspect that most kids are out for the bulk candy and will just move onto the next house and not waste the time.
**Sunner**

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Thanks for clarifying :)

So it's Charles M. Schulz's fault....

"It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"

unseentangerine

Postby unseentangerine » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:33 pm

I need to start using the word slavering more often.
Many on the forum have asked me, so here's my answer: a spoonful of lighter fluid. And you'll need to wash it out really well when you're done.

strawman

Postby strawman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:22 am

pondspider wrote:I'm a little confused about the final sentence and, being 'ere in good ol' England (say it with a fake Cockerney accent, a la Dick van Dyke), I'm not entirely familiar with the Trick-or-Treat protocols.Would someone who knows about these things please enlighten me?

I will enlighten you if you will enlighten me: Being from the "Land of Angles", why does no one ask the obvious, "Acute or Obtuse?"
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:31 am

strawman wrote:
pondspider wrote:I'm a little confused about the final sentence and, being 'ere in good ol' England (say it with a fake Cockerney accent, a la Dick van Dyke), I'm not entirely familiar with the Trick-or-Treat protocols.Would someone who knows about these things please enlighten me?

I will enlighten you if you will enlighten me: Being from the "Land of Angles", why does no one ask the obvious, "Acute or Obtuse?"

You've reminded me of a Drabble/Twabble idea I had... (easily distracted, he goes off at a tangent, obliquely adjascent to the hypotenuse, while acutely aware of his vector of travel.... etc, etc.)

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:34 pm

strawman wrote:I will enlighten you if you will enlighten me: Being from the "Land of Angles", why does no one ask the obvious, "Acute or Obtuse?"

Who're you calling A Cute Anglo?
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:02 pm

SpareInch wrote:
strawman wrote:I will enlighten you if you will enlighten me: Being from the "Land of Angles", why does no one ask the obvious, "Acute or Obtuse?"

Who're you calling A Cute Anglo?

Being yer typically self-deprecating Englander, I prefer to think of myself as obtuse. :|

MonsieurMoustache

Postby MonsieurMoustache » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:04 am

Hmm, I grew up thinking the house usually gave you a Trick or a Treat. Rarely I did get a trick - a magician performed card tricks for each batch of kids, and someone else gave a box of candy with a note inside to the tune of 'Hah-hah, no candy for you, loser'. I think another time a man at the door asked if we wanted a trick or a treat and when we said trick, it was a guy in a mask creeping up behind you and shouting 'boo'. We got candy too at most of these places.

Return to “Drabbles”