Overworked

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Sunner

Overworked

Postby Sunner » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:59 am

I came to this planet millenia ago and have since been known by many names... Abbadon, Thanatos, Santa Muerte, the Grim Reaper, or simply, Death. In that time, I have harvested uncounted souls and the wars here have always aided me in filling my quota. I pace through these trenches, touching a man here, another there. I climb the rough, dirt stair and look out through the barbed wire. The field beyond is strewn with the dead, soaked in blood. I look at the mass of corpses and decide it is time I sent to the home world for backup.
**Sunner**

pondspider

Re: Overworked

Postby pondspider » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Nicely done. I guess this one is set in the early-to-mid 20th Century, and that things aren't quite so bad these days, at least in terms of warfare. Now we have greater existential threats to consider. Death may yet need that backup.

strawman

Postby strawman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:40 pm

I think having Reaper reinforcements leads one to wonder if the Reapers had a hand in farming for the harvest, spreading the fertilizer, planting the seed, irrigating the fields... and in their home planet they are preparing the equivalent of our Thanksgiving holiday, with a big cornucopia of bodies spilling out.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Sunner

Postby Sunner » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:48 pm

strawman wrote:I think having Reaper reinforcements leads one to wonder if the Reapers had a hand in farming for the harvest, spreading the fertilizer, planting the seed, irrigating the fields... and in their home planet they are preparing the equivalent of our Thanksgiving holiday, with a big cornucopia of bodies spilling out.

I did mention the harvesting of souls. I was thinking a different level than strictly meat farming...perhaps a more pure form of energy. If Death is considered a non-corporeal being then it stands to reason his harvest is non-corporeal...but I do suppose that, bearing that in mind, the nurturing of the "crop" could in fact be also a factor...
**Sunner**

Return to “Drabbles”