Baxter

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
ryansonofroy

Baxter

Post by ryansonofroy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:58 pm

Baxter was the only infant ever to attend Chrysalis Daycare who didn’t need a helmet to correct some form of plagiocephaly. Although his plastic headgear looked the same as other babies’, it had a very different purpose, and his caretaker Gloria knew this all too well. She rocked the little abomination swiftly in her arms, returning his hateful gaze, and spoke telepathically to him: “If you were my child, I would poison your bah-bah.” That brought a smile to the tiny freak’s face. “If you were my mother, I’d drink it.” Then he shit his pants, instantly overflowing his diaper.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Baxter

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57 pm

It's got some fun elements and repurposes my favorite (disputed) Churchill exchange. But add some paragraph breaks, man!

Also, I so wanted to read something like this at the end:
Fantasy editor wrote:Startled, Gloria "accidentally" dropped him -- one more scuff on his headgear.
Welcome aboard, Ryansonofroy!

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote: Also, I so wanted to read something like this at the end:
Fantasy editor wrote:Startled, Gloria "accidentally" dropped him -- one more scuff on his headgear.
Easy for you to say. If he had given you what you'd like, you'd toss him out for 11 too many words. My quibble is with the last line. Diaper-clad babies may shit YOUR pants, but they have no pants to shit.

Also, paragraph breaks should come with an explanation: They mostly provide for a sense of "timing", like a rimshot. Drabbles are by nature dense. Breaks can add a sense of drama.
Example: notice the how much more dramatic:

"Startled, Gloria "accidentally" dropped him --

One more scuff on his headgear."

Finally, why do I feel as though a quibble ought to be exactly 100 syllables?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

SpareInch

Post by SpareInch » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:56 am

strawman wrote:Finally, why do I feel as though a quibble ought to be exactly 100 syllables?
Makes sense to me.
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

ryansonofroy

Post by ryansonofroy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Wow, look at all the feedback. Thanks everyone. My apologies for the vanishing act.
Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:It's got some fun elements and repurposes my favorite (disputed) Churchill exchange.
Sharp eye. That's a pretty recognizable quote I presume? One of my favorites too.
Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Startled, Gloria "accidentally" dropped him -- one more scuff on his headgear.
Great note. Gloria becomes more of a character, rather than an object with one simple reaction. But, as Strawman points out... I'z outta words.
strawman wrote:My quibble is with the last line. Diaper-clad babies may shit YOUR pants, but they have no pants to shit.
As the warrior-poet Tupac says: I feel ya. Think I was going for some strictly figurative imagery. For example, if someone said pull up your "britches", (I'm from KY, people do talk that way) they're not actually referring to breeches, but my pants or shorts or whatever is covering up my bits and pieces. Also, consider maybe the baby was wearing pants. Both of my kids have "blown-out" diapers and literally shit their pants. (Then again, I think my kids have always excelled in the fecal arts.)

Paragraph breaks: You're all right. These 100 word ditties need every bit of help they can get. Breaks would definitely give the story cadence, rhythm and dramatic effect.

For the record, I hate the title. It's lazy, but it's all I got. Not a huge deal I guess, but does anyone have any better ideas?

Finally, is there some sort of Drabblecast writers' manual, where we can officially cite quibbles as 100 syllable statement/stories?

Thanks gang, so happy to have stumbled upon the Drabblecast and this whole community of weird.