"How long are we talking?" [Category: First Time Posting]

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
AspirationRealized

"How long are we talking?" [Category: First Time Posting]

Postby AspirationRealized » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:28 pm

"A hundred words," he answered solemnly. "Roughly."

Peaslee hadn't expected the end so soon. And certainly not based on word count. It seemed... not so much cruel, as arbitrary.

"Why would the creator stop there? Why would he decide to stop after the next hundred words?" There was a pause before he added, "-or, she." 

He grimaced. He didn't know what was worse, being misogynistic with his last words or wasting two more for the sake of political correctness. They had used a quarter of their words already; unless more than just dialogue was being counted. Peaslee considered this, before

AspirationRealized

Re: "How long are we talking?" [Category: First Time Posting]

Postby AspirationRealized » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:30 pm

I'm not sure the subtle Lovecraft reference is enough to put that in the category tag, and besides Lovecraft month is woefully over isn't it?

strawman

Postby strawman » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:24 am

Reminds me of an early winner, "So, We're Gonna Die".
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

AspirationRealized

Postby AspirationRealized » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:53 am

Ah, I was worried that this concept might not be fresh, as it is a pretty obvious reflection of the 100 word limit. When I first thought about doing one of these the limit was this imposing thing, I got the impression of finality, and this was the natural result. I have heard the story "So you're going to die" but I hadn't heard of "So we're gonna die". So far I've listened to most of the recent ones itunes shows, as well as the archives from 1-75, but I don't recall the one you mentioned.

I'll look for the story and see whether mine has enough distinction to justify it being up.

EDIT:

I searched using the forum search and the drabblecast.org search and wasn't able to find that title. I even tried "going to" instead of gonna but no dice. Do you happen to remember which episode it was?

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:17 am

AspirationRealized wrote:Ah, I was worried that this concept might not be fresh, as it is a pretty obvious reflection of the 100 word limit. When I first thought about doing one of these the limit was this imposing thing, I got the impression of finality, and this was the natural result. I have heard the story "So you're going to die" but I hadn't heard of "So we're gonna die". So far I've listened to most of the recent ones itunes shows, as well as the archives from 1-75, but I don't recall the one you mentioned.

I'll look for the story and see whether mine has enough distinction to justify it being up.

EDIT:

I searched using the forum search and the drabblecast.org search and wasn't able to find that title. I even tried "going to" instead of gonna but no dice. Do you happen to remember which episode it was?

I wouldn't sweat it. I don't write many drabbles, but what I had thought to be my best was up hardly any time at all when someone pointed out that the storyline was almost the same as an old episode of The Simpsons. But hey, they're all good reading, and i enjoyed this one. :D
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

AspirationRealized

Postby AspirationRealized » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:15 pm

Hey I appreciate that, Spare. I'm often told I worry too much and I'm afraid they might be right.

It was the story I wanted to write when I first considered the notion of doing a drabble for the cast. Hopefully I'll have some more ideas I can shoehorn- I mean, delicately refine into a one hundred word format.

strawman

Postby strawman » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:24 pm

I've never been good with names, and it's possible it might have been a Trifecta or a Drabble, which might screw up the search. The story was an early episode about two guys on Mars who had only a few moments of oxygen remaining. One of the guys is a compulsive talker, the other wants to conserve oxygen. The talker asks, "So, what do you want to talk about?"

Spoiler:

AspirationRealized

Postby AspirationRealized » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:51 pm

Oh! I remember that one, it was funny. I'm pretty sure that was a drabble but the title might be different.

Anyway I can see the similarities but I think mine is different enough to justify existing in the same space. You had me worried for a moment there, heh.

Also just wanted to say that I really appreciate the comments guys. I noticed that the forums aren't as busy as they (apparently) used to be so I'm surprised to see responses on my little drabble.

EDIT:

One thing I wanted to ask about is the Lovecraft reference in my story. Is it really obvious or kind of hard to put together? I've showed some friends of mine, friends who are Lovecraft fans, with mixed results.

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:58 am

I didn't get it, despite being a pretty old one myself.

Spoiler:

AspirationRealized

Postby AspirationRealized » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:27 am

Ah might be too obscure. The name Peaslee is borrowed from the protagonist in Lovecraft's The Shadow Out of Time. It's a titular pun since the character in my drabble is out of time.

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:59 pm

It's like a riddle wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, and making a taco out of it may be one layer too deep.

Spoiler:

AspirationRealized

Postby AspirationRealized » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:54 am

The way I saw it, the name change couldn't detract from the story. Originally the character's name was Jack, and the story is functionally the same if you swap the names. The reference may go unrecognized and it doesn't hurt the meaning in any way if so. I considered it an economic value-add, economic in that something else was added to the story at no extra word cost.

I think I heard "an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a tortilla" in one of the intros of one of the podcasts I was listening to today! Escape Pod, if I'm not mistaken.

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:31 pm

AspirationRealized wrote:I think I heard "an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a tortilla" in one of the intros of one of the podcasts I was listening to today! Escape Pod, if I'm not mistaken.

OMG! You don't think there might be some connection between Strawman and Norm, do you? :P

Somehow though, I just can't imagine Churchill eating anything wrapped in a tortilla. Perhaps he might have had an Enigma-wrapped-in-a-Mystery Wellington?
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

Return to “Drabbles”