A Frosty Demise

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
ZimmermansWay

A Frosty Demise

Post by ZimmermansWay » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:29 am

As death appeared over the hills of snow
The old man’s smile fell away
The end was near
His posture cantered to one side
Weighed down by a scarf that had now frozen solid around his neck
“What senseless meaning lay behind this existence?” he pondered. “What maker gave life, only to have me watch it melt away, all alone?”
His face began to glisten and droop in the noon day sun.
“If winter is the end, then what is the beginning?”
As his silk hat fell away
He hoped and he prayed that he’d be back again
Some day
...Zimmerman...

"We're all lying in the gutter. Some of us are just looking up at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Suomy Nona

Re: A Frosty Demise

Post by Suomy Nona » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:47 pm

Nice. When I was a child, I wondered why the hat didn't work correctly when Frosty melted. If it could animate snow and allow it to adjust form then why not water? I decided that the snow had to contain a more dense structural integrity system than water could provide. I thought of Frosty melting away to reveal a translucent ice skeleton instead of just melting into a puddle. Thanks for bringing back the memory.

ZimmermansWay

Post by ZimmermansWay » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Ooooh, k LOVE the skeleton and am propmoly going to hikack that image (with your blessing, of course :D)

Secondly, by extension, humans are roughly 2/3rds water ourselves, so what would said magic hat do for us?
...Zimmerman...

"We're all lying in the gutter. Some of us are just looking up at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Suomy Nona

Post by Suomy Nona » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:03 am

The image is all yours, my friend.

It seems unlikely that anyone with the ability to create a magical article that could bring life to a snowman would have created it for that purpose. I would assume the hat would have been made for a human... most likely for eternal life. However, it would be hard to keep a hat like that upon your head permanently. Perhaps it would have been created to reanimate the dead... but with how quickly the brain deteriorates, it would be unlikely one could get much information from a reanimated corpse. On the other hand, it is magic and Frosty didn't even have a brain so, hell... I don't know.