The Executive

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Post Reply
User avatar
eric_marsh
Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: La Drova, Valencia, Spain
Contact:

The Executive

Post by eric_marsh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:30 am

Satan was bored.

Entrapping ape creatures with trinkets is a silly job, trivial for even a third rate daemon. Still, he'd worked hard on the way up and eventually became the senior exec.

When mass media had come on the scene Satan enthusiastically made it his own, but his success was his undoing. Television and the internet had automated the reaping of souls leaving him with nothing to do. An eternity of that would be hell.

With that, Satan conceded defeat. He'd won but he'd also lost. Yahweh nodded, cleared the board and asked if he'd like to play again.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The Executive

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:37 pm

Surely, he was aware the game war rigged from the get go, wasn't he?

I'm filling this Drabble under the Theological Phenotype...

Good one. Ok, actually it was an evil one... >:)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
gord42
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:26 am
Location: Winnipeg

Re: The Executive

Post by gord42 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:48 am

Nice work, Eric!
I've only just started reading the forums a few days ago, but this is my favourite so far.
For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. (Titus 3:3-7)

User avatar
eric_marsh
Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: La Drova, Valencia, Spain
Contact:

Re: The Executive

Post by eric_marsh » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:57 pm

Glad you like it. This is a great way to just play with ideas.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: The Executive

Post by dreamrock » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:32 am

Wow, I loved the ending. Thinking of the struggle of good v. evil as a board game tickles my fancy.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The Executive

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:06 am

dreamrock wrote:Wow, I loved the ending. Thinking of the struggle of good v. evil as a board game tickles my fancy.
The game has been rigged since the get-go.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: The Executive

Post by strawman » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:55 am

ROU Killing Time wrote: The game has been rigged since the get-go.
Except for the missing evidence that YHWH is winning.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The Executive

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:10 am

strawman wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote: The game has been rigged since the get-go.
Except for the missing evidence that YHWH is winning.
The evidence is all around, but proof really takes all of the fun out of it.

My favorite piece of evidence was the simple and elegant self-naming. Tell them "I Am" sent you.

A simple existential assertion that makes contrived diabolical plans seem clumsy and second-rate by comparison.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3517
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: The Executive

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:42 am

gord42 wrote:Nice work, Eric!
I've only just started reading the forums a few days ago, but this is my favourite so far.
Ditto. Good drabble.

Post Reply